Power outage Neptune won’t control heater outlet

Vwluv10338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend said the power went out a few times today while I was at work due to a snow storm. I got an alarm right before leaving work that the temp on the tank dropped. I check and I can see the heater is not running. I use the controller on the heater and the Neptune outlet is a backup. The led on the heater was dead so I figured a power outage surge killed it. I was messing with it and turned the outlet on and the controller lit up. Set it back to auto and it goes out. Tank is at 75f and my heater is set to be on between 32-80f will fallback off. Did my power bar die? I have tried reprogramming and it’s the same.

Edit: moved heater to another outlet and it won’t control it there either

Last edited:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Apex do you have (powerbar EB8 or 832)? What controller lit up? Heater controller? Need more info...
What heater? What controller?

OP
OP
V

Vwluv10338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a two month old apex with eb8. I can turn on my heater outlet but it won’t work it auto after the power went out today. I changed nothing. I moved my heater to another outlet on the bar and it still won’t tell it to come on

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a troubleshooting perspective can you try the following for that outlet?
Set ON
If Tmp > 78.4 Then OFF

Does another device like a lamp (test device) work when plugged into those outlets?

OP
OP
V

Vwluv10338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C05D14BC-9783-4ABA-B88D-02B1B997BEE5.png
73762899-E9AB-41C2-82D0-B6B8EC20D51F.png

I don’t even use code. I have just had it set like
This since day one with no issues till the power outage today. I have changed the two empty spots to heaters and they don’t turn on auto either. I can turn on any outlet manually and they work just fine.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a troubleshooting perspective can you try the following for that outlet?
Set ON
If Tmp > 78.4 Then OFF

Does another device like a lamp (test device) work when plugged into those outlets?
I think you're onto something, I'd try
Fallback - Off
If Tmp <78.4 Then On
If Tmp >80.0 Then Off

OP
OP
V

Vwluv10338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it seems like it was my on setting. I was using the “easy” controls and was concerned about my heater not being on so I set my on temps low and it was looking for that temp for some reason. I understand how they have it now. I didn’t go into advanced I just set my low to a bit above it and it kicked back on.

Thanks for all the help. I was freaking out at work and blowing up my girlfriends phone trying to get a spare heater in the tank. I guess it’s time for a backup heater. She is a programmer for NASA so I’m sure she will laugh that my code was wrong

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a tip for anyone following this thread...

When using Neptune's standard Heater programming, and you set it to AUTO, the heater will turn on once the temperature drops below the minimum. Under normal circumstances, it will then remain on until the temperature goes above the maximum. However, if the Apex is rebooted while the temperature is in between the low and high settings, what it does next depends on your Fallback setting.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 3.30.11 PM.png

Fallback OFF will cause the output to turn off when the EnergyBar loses communications with the Apex, such as during a reboot, a power failure, or if you disconnect the EnergyBar's AquaBus cable. Once the Apex is back online and in communications with the EnergyBar, the heater output will not automatically turn back on because the temperature has not dropped below the minimum. If you use Fallback ON, then the heater output will stay on after the Apex comes back online. However, you should only use Fallback ON if your heater has its own built-in thermostat.

Another way around this issue is to simply move the heater's output slider from AUTO to ON which will turn it on, then move the slider back to AUTO. It will remain on until the temperature exceeds the maximum again.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

Back