Power Outage

Have you undergone a power surge and lost out?

• Yes, but recovered quickly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Epic_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m fairly new to reefing. Running a Red Sea 140E, and fell just short of making my one year mark. This TS Isaias wiped out my power and crashed the tank. Granted, it was my own fault for not being prepared, but dang this sucks. I finally started making strides with my water chemistry and husbandry and my corals we’re providing me that satisfaction. I was getting serious PE in my acros and restoring others to their rightful coloration.
I am absolutely heart broken, but this is part of the hobby, right?. I can only learn from this mistake.
I currently have a battery powered pump in the tank for circulation in hopes of salvaging what’s left but I’m not sure what that will equate to when my power is finally restored. It’s been almost 48 hours and my sps has began bleaching and all fish (except the clowns) have met their demise.

I guess on the upside, I can do a rescape if I lose enough! Below is one of the better photos I got before the end!

let’s hear your horror stories and remind me why we do this hobby.

FD379040-1DD3-410D-875A-6661116A4C2A.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't get storms like this very often (I'm in SW Florida and we get a few). But there are lots of other reason for power losses. Be prepared.

I have a 8500 watt generator that hooks up to the entire house. It will run everything but the AC and the stove. It will run those if other things are turned off. It's not a cheap fix, but then the power is off for a day or two (or 10 like we had with Hurricane Charlie about 15 years ago) it's nice to have a safe tank, run a small room AC and almost everything else in the house.

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I litterally just had a power outage last night, a goose flew into a wire and took out are whole towns power.

I have a generator that we get running specifically for my tanks, but a battery backup would be better in case no one is home.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's real rough. Gorgeous flame Hawk, sorry it's gone. :(

Can get battery powered air pumps to aid gas exchange in addition to the one you have for circulation. If keeping the tank warm is an issue, can float bottles of hot/warm water.

If you're in an area prone to long outages, would definitely recommend a generator, even if it's just big enough to run your tank equipment.

My only experience with an outage was it went out for 4 hours a few weeks back while I was at work. Came home and everything was fine, only way I knew was my clocks were flashing.

Back