Power went out last night, most are dead.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the future I would consider a pump and battery backup. Gyre or vortech with backup battery. I’m a vortech fan.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the future I would consider a pump and battery backup. Gyre or vortech with backup battery. I’m a vortech fan.
I’d also consider this for the future, but based on where you’re at, I’d really consider purchasing a generator. You can expect more mandatory blackouts this “fire season”. This storm won’t be enough to compensate for the weak snow pack we got this winter.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 generators, one is a Honda 2000 watt portable that I use for my tanks if the power goes out. I make sure to run the pumps and heaters(runs the light too). Your truck is burning more gas in 1 hour than a small generator will burn in 2 days. Go buy a small cheap generator. Lowes has a 1000 watt generator for $140.00.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got snow last night here in Grass Vally Ca. Woke up when the baby monitor ran out of back up battery and started beeping. Power is still off , both tank are reasonably new. My fish tank is just about 2 months old my Reef tank is about 1-2 weeks old. The bubble tip anemone is surely dead, it’s limp and dangling... so is the mushroom. My Blasto and my candy cane don’t look good at all. My fish are mostly alive, Goby died... I have 2 clowns and a coral beauty still alive. Seriously new to this hobby and my first problem is a complete and total disaster. I am in the “sticks” so no electricity means no well pump, so no hot water and no heat in the house... no water , no heat, no electricity. We have a Colman stove, so thinking I can heat pans with water and float in the tank for heat? Any ideas!. What can I do to at least keep my fish alive!
Think it might be little more than just the power going out 2 week old tank for a anemone isn't good I've had the power go out for almost 24 hours with nothing in my tank running and nothing but a couple snails died

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are in the sticks a generator or extra batteries/inverter are mandatory for this hobby. Even in some cities it should be one of the first purchases.

Can you heat 1 tank and move all livestock into that 1 tank?

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d also consider this for the future, but based on where you’re at, I’d really consider purchasing a generator.
Got the last inverter style generator they had down at the home deposit last night... someone else said this hobby and where o am located requires a generator... so I got one..

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it might be little more than just the power going out 2 week old tank for a anemone isn't good I've had the power go out for almost 24 hours with nothing in my tank running and nothing but a couple snails died
Yes, that is correct and the Anemone pulled through. I am new, but posted on here as was told I had a skip cycle rock, and since it was an 8 pound rock in 11 gallons of water... and the rock was cover with randomly attached Zoas, a mushroom, brittle star fish, shrimp, (and a few pest like brittle worms to wait just a week and try adding some frags... I did and they are doing just fine, water has never spiked anything. I am testing Daily, so far it’s 0.0 for ammonia and nitrite and just a touch of nitrate.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One rock is not going to make up for your tank being brand new. There is a big difference between cycled and established. Anemones typically do not do well in freshly cycled tanks. Almost Every day there is a host help my anemone is drying or something similar in this forum.
The battery powered are pumps are a very inexpensive way to provide both oxygen and flow to your tanks. They are only $15 each and work surprisingly well. I have several for my tanks. But they are back up for my battery backups that will keep the water moving a long time and my generator. Walmart, sporting goods and fish stores carry them.

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a big difference between cycled and established.
Indeed....I've noticed several corals, et will not spread to cycled rocks as readily until they are "coated" with other biologicals or somehow setup by or changed by other biologicals ... might be something going on with a symbiosis or chemical changes similar to terrestrial forest relationship to certain funguses et ...either way I''m certain many biological colonizations have complex dependencies and set stages

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, I am new and of course mistakes will be made. I misspoke , it is actually 1 “super live” and well established rock, another 9 pound traditional live rock, 20 lbs live sand and the nutri-sea water which is also seeded with denitrifying bacteria, and Dr.Tims. The tank has literally never spike ammonia and has been between 2ppm and 5ppm nitrate, and I do water changes when it hits 5ppm. The anemone is still doing fine despite the previous power loss and my rookie mistake of sticking too much into a new tank... but it’s doing well by some dumb luck. Thanks for all the help!

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you’re taking the right steps, just try and keep things stable, now that you’ve overcome you’re initial loss. I’m currently keeping a clam, SPS, anemones etc.. in a tank that’s just over four months of being set up. Anything is possible, just focus on stability. You can probably dose Kalkwasser in your ato reservoir to help keep some of your parameters in check.

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have now been two clowns and added two more Zoa Rocks, a Euphelia a couple more candy canes, still stable and doing well. I also don’t have the stock filter in the Fluval Evo 13.5... some great advice I got early on was the InTank basket... so running about 2 quarts of marinepure 3/4” bioballs in the bottom of slot 1 and 2, Chempure blue, Puragen and Seagel in the slot two basket, and a protein skimmer in slot 1. Ran my tests again tonight and nitrate is down to 0.
3C663FD0-CBB8-45A1-9E7F-D9B90CA02C84.jpeg
CE005383-450A-46AD-975F-2BA7AA285C63.jpeg
AC605E02-39C2-4763-8D8B-EC256BD28B90.jpeg
AA4083D8-268A-48B4-87CE-A40F1B4B1529.jpeg
CEB3C382-31EE-4A95-84B2-A67F7EC37C0F.jpeg

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, tampering fate... everything recovered from the power outage... and was posting this evening how everything was going prefect and two hours later my new clown died. I posted another thread for questions.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really do not want your nitrates to be zero. Ammonia should be in detectable with hoppy test kits. Ammonia is toxic.

TheTangFuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, tampering fate... everything recovered from the power outage... and was posting this evening how everything was going prefect and two hours later my new clown died. I posted another thread for questions.
I could be wrong, but that ammonia test looks to be .25? and with no nitrates... This is what my tests looked like at the beginning of my cycle. Your clown may have passed because of the ammonia. Is the other one breathing hard? This is assuming that I am looking at the ammonia test correctly as pictures don't always do justice.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back