Powerhead and flow- do I leave it on 24/7?

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40gal AIO cube. Stock pump didn’t seem to provide enough flow for corals so I added a cheap powerhead (1050gph) I found online. It isn’t programmable. Do I leave it on all the time? I’ve been unplugging it for feeding but wonder if I should turn it off at night or put it on a schedule so the fish don’t have to swim so hard. Am I an idiot for wanting to give the fish a minute to relax? Clown, Royal gramma, bicolor blenny and a YWG. Gramma and blenny usually sleep in the rock. Goby was added today but will hopefully have a cave and tunnel once I add a pistol shrimp.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish will find a place to sleep. Currents don't stop in the wild.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can leave it on 24/7, I do. I turn it off for feeding and sometimes to give everything a break but it’s not necessary. Some people will ramp their power heads down at night, I don’t.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Variable speeds rather than blasting one direction and speed full time is best

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Variable speeds rather than blasting one direction and speed full time is best
I’m thinking I need to replace it with something more programable eventually. It is on its lowest setting and still seems to create quite the current. If I am not careful with placement/direction of flow it will cause turbulence in one corner and kick up sand. These things aren’t that expensive so I will research options. If you have any suggestions I am all ears- It’s not a large tank- 40 cube AIO so display is closer to 35.

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking I need to replace it with something more programable eventually. It is on its lowest setting and still seems to create quite the current. If I am not careful with placement/direction of flow it will cause turbulence in one corner and kick up sand. These things aren’t that expensive so I will research options. If you have any suggestions I am all ears- It’s not a large tank- 40 cube AIO so display is closer to 35.
I would definitely find something a little less on GPH and programmable. I thought the same early on about giving the fish rest lol I have 2 power heads and filter moving water in my 20 g and everyone is happy

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place it about a third of the way down and angle it upward to create surface agitation. That will keep things from being blasted and still allow you to run higher flow. Dead spots are what you want to avoid.

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC320DC9-8C18-4625-886C-C01A485BCF58.jpeg

you can see placement here- right side. Height is around 1/3 down. It pushes quite a bit of water so aiming at the surface nearly turns this thing into a fountain.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight up isn't what you want. Probably toward opposite corner would work.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back