Powerhead for 120g LPS tank - help/opinions/suggestions

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all. I am thinking about a new powerhead for my LPS tank. Its mostly Euphyllia and Acan Lords with some Zoas.

I currently have two Jebao pumps. One on each side. My problem with them is that they create quite a bit of direct forceful flow. My torches whip around quite a bit. Right now I have them turned down quite a bit but I feel like I have pretty bad deadspots.

I have been looking at all of the new powerheads on the market. Nero 5. Good ol MP10's, and the Gyres.

What do y'all think about a Gyre for a 120g tank? I am currently looking at 2 Icecap 3k's. They would be in my price range and I think I need two to get a nice back and forth flow?

Or would it be better to go with a Maxspect 230 on one side and have it pulse? Not sure.

What are you thoughts? Best options etc

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Jebao pumps do you currently have? I just purchase the OW50s for a frag tank and like the flow they give. Regardless of the pumps too, your aquascape is going to also dictate any deadspots. I would look at it from that point-of-view. Maybe just adding another Jebao is your best bet.

OP
OP
M

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are the SW-8’s? Too many models haha it’s one of the newer style ones.

I think I’ve talked myself into a gyre over the last few days. I think I’ll try one icecap gyre to start and see what the flow is like. Use the jebaos opposite from it. Then I can add another down the road if I like it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back