Powerhead for a square 55

Pit2ee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 55 gallon square tank with both a hob filter and skimmer. What size power head will I need and how many? I've been trying to research it but all I can find is info for a long tank. Please advise.

OP
OP
P

Pit2ee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions? What will you be putting in it?
The tank is 30 x 18 x 24. So squarish. I'm not 100% sure on what I want to stock in it. Other then definitely a pair of clowns and a few other fish and eventually some corals. Once its established and I do more research on what can go in it

Upvote 0

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will depend on the types of corals you want to keep. The fish won't care regardless.

For Soft corals, 20-30x is just fine. LPS prefer something in the 30-40x range, and for SPS it's nearly impossible to have too much. My 120DT is at about 70-80x, using 4 power heads and a pair of gyre 250's. All are set to different programs and pointed all around the tank so that the flow is as chaotic as possible. If all are at their minimum at the same time, it is almost calm. If they all happen to hit max at the same time, well, ever been caught in moderately heavy surf? It's kinda like that.

More, but smaller power heads that add up to the total you are looking for will always be better than just one because you can them make the flow more random.

HTH!

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back