Powerhead for Max E-170

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, waiting for my new Red Sea Max E-170 to come in and it's my first reef tank. I have 2 Koralia Third Generation Powerheads (1350 GPH) ordered but not sure if it's the right size or if I even need them starting out. I would love to get some MP10's but after shelling out 3k so far I don't think I can justify an extra $300-600 more for some powerheads. Keep the koralias? Return them or any better alternatives that aren't as expensive as the MP10?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things, what are you wanting to keep in the tank, coral wise? I personally like the Ecotech MP pumps as you only have to replace the wetside if it wears out. Innovative Marine has some nice DC pumps, but they will wear out. The IM pumps do last a few years though, and they are only $99-$109.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CoastieFlo

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things, what are you wanting to keep in the tank, coral wise? I personally like the Ecotech MP pumps as you only have to replace the wetside if it wears out. Innovative Marine has some nice DC pumps, but they will wear out. The IM pumps do last a few years though, and they are only $99-$109.

So I haven't even set my tank up just yet, I am brand new to the hobby but I was thinking sticking to beginner zoanthids, duncans, mushrooms and eventually some leather or euphyllia. Do I need a power head for cycling my tank and would (2) 1350 gph pumps be overkill for my tank...it's 22x22x24, 37 gal display.

Upvote 0

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start you don’t need a power head, but I like to have everything in place before hand. For softies and LPS a 20x turnover is what you want. On a 37 gal tank, that would be roughly 700 gal an hour. I would go with one innovative marine pump, that way you can change the amount of flow. Euphylia like variable flow, so maybe 2 IM pumps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CoastieFlo

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start you don’t need a power head, but I like to have everything in place before hand. For softies and LPS a 20x turnover is what you want. On a 37 gal tank, that would be roughly 700 gal an hour. I would go with one innovative marine pump, that way you can change the amount of flow. Euphylia like variable flow, so maybe 2 IM pumps.
Awesome, I appreciate the advice! Can't wait to get this tank running.

Upvote 0
Back