Powerhead selection is breaking my brain: questions

danielankeny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friends: Help! I am a newbie trying to pick powerheads for my newly purchased fiji cube 76g complete package and I have some questions. Planning on soft corals, maybe a mixed reef.

I was all set on purchasing 2 vortech mp10s to place on opposing walls but they won’t work since my glass is too thick. i like the idea of vortech because of the cordless wet side and the battery backup system.

Working on the assumption I should place 1 powerhead on each of the 2 side walls, 2 mp40s seem like it will be flow overkill. So my questions are:

1) would a single vortech mp40 on one side be ok?
2) are there battery backups that work with the AI NEROs or should I consider another powerhead maker
3) maybe a gyre pump is better?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Dan

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the assumption I should place 1 powerhead on each of the 2 side walls, 2 mp40s seem like it will be flow overkill. So my questions are:

1) would a single vortech mp40 on one side be ok?
Maybe but you will have dead spots because its a cube.

I would use 2ea mp40's and turn them to a low setting. Placing 1 low and one higher will disburse the flow a bit.

Upvote 0

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao slw aren’t bad , it’s a fraction of a price compared to mp10 , seen many people using it with success for reef tanks

Upvote 0

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second lapin suggestion.With controllable powerheads you can dial flow down and when you decide to introduce SPS, you can increase the flow.

Upvote 0

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP 40s would be great. I would recommend 2 pumps. You can't get the same flow dynamics with 1 pump as you can with 2. I also wouldn't rule out some tunze 6095s. Two with a safety connector would be great for battery backup and would save you a bit of cash. The tunzes will most likely outlast the vortechs IMO.

Upvote 0

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with two gyres, up high to make the cords less noticeable. I use two Maxspect Jump 4K in a 120g. The 2K version should be sufficient in a 76g.

Upvote 0
Back