Powerhead vibration and noise "within" the tank

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My MP40 is silent to me, even when moving massive water at high speed. But if I put my ear to the tank, it sounds like an airplane taking off in there and you can sense the vibration on the glass. When I turn the MP40 off and put my ear to the glass, it is much more peaceful in there and all you get is a little "whooshing" from the return pump line. The fish must sense the difference. It is night and day.

Does anyone know whether this internal noise and vibration impact health of fish and inverts? Are wet/dry-side powerheads like Vortex known for creating more "in tank" noise, as opposed to fully wet powerheads that just suction on the glass?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most pumps regardless of manufacturer will make noise like that with your ear to the glass.

The ocean reef is quite noisy.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that’s all you hear be thankful LOL I have 4 - Mp40Wes’ that are pretty old and pretty loud. I can hear our tank ramping up and down in reefcrest from 60’ down the hallway to our bedroom in the night time when the house is quiet.

Just to expensive to upgrade at this point.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Might want to double check that your wetside is centered (just reach in and move it up/down, left/right and find the minimum vibration point.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back