Powerheads for 75 gal FOWLR system?

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank. I live in Hawaii so our laws are strict about pretty much everything about having a marine aquarium. So I won't ever be able to have anything but live rock.

Do I need powerheads in my fowlr tank?

I have a HOB filter and a canister filter both have strong output. I recently got a powerhead that I keep on, but when it is on my fish look like they are struggling to swim and they hide more. As soon as I turn it off they swim easily and are out not hiding. What should I do?

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fish only tank before. Didn't use any powerhead .I had it for more than 3 years no problem. As long as the return has flow it's cool.

Try to monitor the waves of the return. Or move the return line toward the surface of creates waves.

OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fish only tank before. Didn't use any powerhead .I had it for more than 3 years no problem. As long as the return has flow it's cool.

Try to monitor the waves of the return. Or move the return line toward the surface of creates waves.

Yeah I have a spray bar on my canister thats very strong it pushed all my sand out of the front so I had to move things around to break up the current so it'd stop moving all my sand I also put it together so its at the top of the tank and it gives alot of surface movement thanks for the help

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's would be enough .fish only need the surface movement .if the wave pump is controllable you could use if there is any power outage.this was my tank I had a small 5 wt powerhead for emergency power ooutage

Attachments

• 20180528_000931.jpg
    20180528_000931.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
HawaiiTanks808

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's would be enough .fish only need the surface movement .if the wave pump is controllable you could use if there is any power outage.this was my tank I had a small 5 wt powerhead for emergency power ooutage

Awesome I was just looking into backup power for my tank, since its hurricane season over here, hopefully I won't need it but always good to be prepared thanks, its good to know from someone who did a fowlr. The last couple times I kept getting answers from people who only do reef tanks and its obviously a bit different dynamic based on the answers I kept getting.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having huge success with GYRE pumps in FOWLR tanks. I've been using the Jebao GYRE on a low-power RANDOM setting. I have it scheduled to go off at sunset and back on at sunrise. The fish seem to appreciate the calm water at night, and I get the benefit of good circulation during the day. Plus my triggers surf all day in the current.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back