Powerheads for a 6’x2’ tank

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered Nero 5's. Low profile inside and out and can move a bit of water with a wide flow pattern. Using two on the back wall of my 120g. Otherwise Id say go with a couple of gyre's.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a pickle. I can’t offer any suggestions. Only thing I’m thinking about is what happens when you drop a magnet when servicing your pumps? It doesn’t sound like you have any room to work with on either side. Hearing everyone’s suggestions not working for you I think you’re just left with a closed loop.

OP
OP
Rob.In.AZ

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like a pickle. I can’t offer any suggestions. Only thing I’m thinking about is what happens when you drop a magnet when servicing your pumps? It doesn’t sound like you have any room to work with on either side. Hearing everyone’s suggestions not working for you I think you’re just left with a closed loop.
Dropping a magnet during cleaning is something I have been concerned about. Or what happens a few years down the road if I want or need to replace a pump?

closed loop is an option. Back wall is an option. Different tank may be an option…even if it’s a less desirable one.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always attach a string or wire to the magnet and attach that above the tank. That way if a magnet got dropped its easy to fish out.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always attach a string or wire to the magnet and attach that above the tank. That way if a magnet got dropped its easy to fish out.
I guess he could have the magnets frenched into the drywall too…..as long as he never wants to relocate the power heads later! It just sounds like there hasn’t been a perfect solution for the op yet. Maybe old school power heads that have suction cup feet? I’m at a loss. At some point something will grow large enough, or there will be a dead spot, where the pumps will need to moved to a different spot.

edit. There’s always those fake rocks that hold tunze pumps. Seems like a maintenance nightmare to me though

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever look at these gyres magnet size? From the picture they look almost as small as the WAV. Way thinner magnet than my older style 2k gyre that has a 1/2" magnet. These look 1/4" from the picture.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would be cool if you get a chance
Here ya go:

Nero 5:
Thickness: .5 inches
Width: 1.8 inches.
20220612_050849.jpg

20220612_050921.jpg

Comparsion, EcoTech MP40:
Thickness: 2.33 inches
Across: 3.22
20220612_051036.jpg

20220612_051011.jpg

OP
OP
Rob.In.AZ

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Lbrdsoxfan thanks. Those are definitely in the mix. Would 1 on each end work on a 6 ft tank? I've never seen the neros in action. They would fit, but just barely. But that would make me nervous. Maybe one each on the back corner angled in. And would probably need additional down the road maybe.

Considering Tunzes as well. Had an old stream that ran on various tanks over the years. Thing was bullet proof. Think I bought it in like 2006. Probably stopped using it in 2017.

Closed loop is probably out. Like the idea, but using the return lines, even with some educators, wouldn't give me enough flow with the existing holes.

Or could do a gyre in the back corner, mounted vertically. Not sure how that would work.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lbrdsoxfan thanks. Those are definitely in the mix. Would 1 on each end work on a 6 ft tank? I've never seen the neros in action. They would fit, but just barely. But that would make me nervous. Maybe one each on the back corner angled in. And would probably need additional down the road maybe.

Considering Tunzes as well. Had an old stream that ran on various tanks over the years. Thing was bullet proof. Think I bought it in like 2006. Probably stopped using it in 2017.

Closed loop is probably out. Like the idea, but using the return lines, even with some educators, wouldn't give me enough flow with the existing holes.

Or could do a gyre in the back corner, mounted vertically. Not sure how that would work.
I think it could work on a 6ft tank. They are like the mp40's as you cant adjust the position. 15 degrees of movement max for the nero.

I have two on the back wall of my 120g, running in a random flow mode with max 50% power, 100% speed is 3k gph. I was considering switching to the mp40's but the neros are much lower profile. They are a fairly wide flow design, so it moves quite a bit of water but its not blasting corals, rocks, livestock etc...

I like the gyre idea, but imho they are more maintenance intensive and you have to routinely pull them to take them apart for service. My experience is they get noisy as they pack up with detritus.

Last edited:

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the gyre idea, but imho they are more maintenance intensive and you have to routinely pull them to take them apart for service. My experience is they get noisy as they pack up with detritus.
I have had to take apart and clean my gyre a grand total of 3 times in 7 years. Wouldn't call that maintenance intensive.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're the exception and not the rule.

Gyres are notorious for their maintenance and cleaning schedule.
disagree - the new F350's with the covers in my tank have never been maintained lol. 2 years later they are still fine

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back