Powerheads for a 60gallon reef tank?

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need suggestions for a powerhead for my tank. Its 60gallon long. just at 48" long.
I would like wave motions and not just a constant on prop. I had bought a aqamai at the local store but I think its too small for this tank and I couldnt log into the app to control the powerhead. So thats getting returned and I want a solid piece of equipment to fill its place. I will be getting some soft coral and fish in this tank once its setup and ready for them.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortechs, Maxxspect gyres, jebao. Nearly any DC wavemaker will work fine. Just depends on your budget. I'm a fan of jebao and AIs Neros.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people do just have static flow. Nero, Tunze, gyres, vortechs, some jebao, all come with controllers to do certain functions, like reef crest, wave, gyre, etc etc. Some have apps as well.

It really comes down to the amount you're willing to spend, as well as your necessities. Just because something like the jebaos and Tunze are cheaper than the vortechs doesn't mean they are necessarily worse either. It doesn't have to be an expensive hobby, but some people will try to talk you into getting the most expensive things because that's what they did or various other reasons. If you can afford the Vortechs, they're worth it. If not, there are plenty of other options that can do similar things for much cheaper.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back