Powerheads for flow that won't break the bank

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb question: Does the hobby use the terms pump and powerhead interchangeably?

Back when I did this a long time ago, a pump had an inlet and outlet port, and could be submerged or not.

A powerhead was kind of a "fan", if you will, that attached to the glass to move water within the tank -- but could not possibly be used to return water from the sump to the tank (for instance).

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a jecod dcs 12000 return pump running 24/7 for five years, I have also had the two wavemakers in my tank since July 2021 and counting, maybe I have just been very lucky with the brand but hey we're not talking about lights here, it's just a wavemaker pump, and it's alot easier to get spares for jebao pumps off ebay than it is tunze etc etc. So if you want to recycle your pumps sell them, stop complaining about them because they're going to fail wether they cost a pound or a million pounds that's what pumps do along with heaters, skimmers etc etc etc

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned ati...

Simply because on my pump is ati logo, on box is ati logo, everywhere is ati logo....

ATI by jebao.... To be exact.

So, either jebao just puts ati logo on their "c..p", and nobody in world reacts to that, or maybe ati teamed up with jebao, so, jebao build pumps for them.

If so... Why such big player like Ati risks a lot by putting they name and reputation on stolen intelectual property, and such poor product.....

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then the fight started... :grinning-squinting-face:

giphy.gif

Should the Vortech users just sit smugly in the corner?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy once cry once. Jebaos have a pretty high and quick failure rate and are chinese stealing of intellectual property to save a little bit right now you won't be better off in the long run. I tried Jebao for a total of 12 pumps. 2 of them lasted more than 2 years. 4 of them lasted more than 1. The other 8 failed within 1 year.

You you like the gyre design, get an ice cap gyre. It's not that much more expensive than the Jebao but will actually last. I have one that is 7 years old and works as good as day 1, no impeller replacements, no hardware issues, just the occasional cleaning like once a year.

If you like the WaveMaker kind of design, get a nero, vortech, Neptune WAV (if you have an apex), tunze, etc.
Own more than a dozen Jebao pumps. Most are 3+ years old.

Not a single failure.

Also own a pair of icecap gyres. Frankly, the jebao is better built. The only reason I have the icecaps are WaveEngine.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any Jebao cross flow owners could speak of their experience I am interested I have used Jebao pumps since the 2nd generation without problem but not wave or current pumps. They have continuously improved the brand. The better local stores use and sell them with confidence and all the proper guarantees. I have a Red Sea gyre and I could use a smaller one without the price.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Jebao in my 75g standard, and don't even run it at 100% because it's too strong. Love it. The only reason I would get a second would be to put them on opposite sides of the tank and would run them both at 40% alternating to equal out the flow rather than it being higher on one side of the tank.

You won't regret the Jebao. I was running return pumps that I had collected from friends to create flow and it was very aggravating to my tank's residents.

I can literally see the waves it creates at the surface of my tank, it isn't overpowering but a great way to create an organic and true feeling current.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Jebao SLW's and love my Tunze Turbelles.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any Jebao cross flow owners could speak of their experience I am interested I have used Jebao pumps since the 2nd generation without problem but not wave or current pumps. They have continuously improved the brand. The better local stores use and sell them with confidence and all the proper guarantees. I have a Red Sea gyre and I could use a smaller one without the price.
I have one on a 75 freshwater planted tank. It moves a ton of water. It's the CP 25W set on wave 2 at 100% it pushes the water in a gyre manner but also has a nice wave effect on the surface. No issues what so ever.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try one. I have lots of long flow but I need some back to front cross flow to put some turbulence in the nooks and crannies.

Scott's aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to keep soft corals, I need more circulation in my 75g. Scowering BRS and amazon. Any recommendations for a nice pump that isn't 150+... if it exists...
I got this and seams to work okay just the magnet doesn't seam to be strong enough for my glass

Attachments

• IMG-20220626-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20220626-WA0006.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 37

Billys_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have also owned multiple jebaos wave maker and return pumps throughout the 5+ years of reefing and all are still working to this date.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how are you liking it. been a few months would you buy again?
Anything and everything that moves water in my tank is Jebao. Quiet, cheap, does 99% of what the same stuff 3x as expensive will.

running two SCP90 on either side of my 125, 70% because full power is too much. Then I have a surge jebao, got it used free, that kicks on during ATO power , and the ATO pump very small so it runs 2-3 minutes probably 2x a day, and nothing settles.

return is jebao, had it hooked up returning two lines probably 10 ft head, at 70% it pushes at least 1500gph thru the system.

newer models have wifi capability, have never figured it out. However if you have a power strip with on/off, the wifi function really isn’t necessary

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They come with a controller . Plug it is , set the wave and intensity you want and leave it .
Exactly. When it is time for maintenance, turn it off then back on when complete. Controller is not user friendly but easy enough with a bit of problem solving

old and new controller examples

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 12

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. When it is time for maintenance, turn it off then back on when complete. Controller is not user friendly but easy enough with a bit of problem solving

old and new controller examples
I have a few older ones as well .
cp-150 listed as cp-55w
And the scp-180

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 17

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back