Powerheads moving sand a lot

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling to work out where I should place my two powerheads - they are moving the sand around wherever I place them. They are currently on the back glass pointing upwards towards the middle.

It is a Waterbox MarineX 90.3 and my two powerheads are Jebao RW-8s set to the second lowest strength on wave (2) mode. The sand is TMC Eco Sand (fine).

It is a new tank, so I understand bacteria will weigh the sand down eventually, but will it really stop this?

IMG_20210602_205957.jpg

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it wont. Not entirely.
Move the higher one down to the same level as the other and try to point them at the opposite front corners instead of the center.
There is always some trial and error getting flow right.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put them on either end. On right side 1" under water line, on left side 3" under water line.. create that cross flow and can alternate your flow setting. Try that...

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are just starting, the best way to fix the powerhead placement is right now. Follow these easy steps for perfect powerhead placement to avoid sand storms.

1. Remove all the fine sand
2. Replace with special grade sand
3. Place powerheads wherever you like
4. Enjoy the tank

Easy! ;)

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are just starting, the best way to fix the powerhead placement is right now. Follow these easy steps for perfect powerhead placement to avoid sand storms.

1. Remove all the fine sand
2. Replace with special grade sand
3. Place powerheads wherever you like
4. Enjoy the tank

Easy! ;)
I love the steps! I only went for finer sand as I want to get a sand sifting goby, and thought I needed fine sand.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the steps! I only went for finer sand as I want to get a sand sifting goby, and thought I needed fine sand.
Special grade works fine for sand sifters! My Gobys sift away all day.
It truly is the perfect size IMO. You won’t regret it.

I’ll never use fine sand again. Too much hassle and too many downsides compared to special grade size.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Fiji pink sand which is a fine grade and am very happy with it. Before you get drastic and change out all the sand, just keep moving the Powerheads around until you find positions that work. it's very doable.

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put them on either end. On right side 1" under water line, on left side 3" under water line.. create that cross flow and can alternate your flow setting. Try that...
Thanks. I will try this first and if this it's still an issue, I'll replace the sand.

I chose TMC Eco Sand as it is meant to be sustainable and comes from the UK, so doesn't come from reefs. I'm sure I've fallen for the marketing, as I'm not sure if it actually is sustainable collected, and that it even though it hasn't come from tropical reefs, it's still been collected from somewhere.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can place a larger grain sand on the places that you want sand to exist. If the grain is large enough, the power heads will not blow it around.

You could also just remove the sand and go bare bottom. You get most of your needed bacteria for handling the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate conversion is the rock anyway.

Or you can remove the fine sand and replace it completely with a larger grain.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats perfect.
A little sand sculpting is OK IMM.
Some Jebao controllers allow the pumps to work together in a one on for say 30seconds, then off, then the other one starts for the same period…is adjustable. ..in this case you can turn them up.

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats perfect.
A little sand sculpting is OK IMM.
Some Jebao controllers allow the pumps to work together in a one on for say 30seconds, then off, then the other one starts for the same period…is adjustable. ..in this case you can turn them up.

I'm planning to get a goby, I'm sure it'll move sand around more than my powerheads are now...

My controllers do seem to be connected (not sure what frequency they work on though). I have them both set on W2 mode, with different wave lengths. Seems to work well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back