Powerheads - The benefits of gas exchange and eliminating dead spots!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAQ #32: Where should I direct my pumps flow - the tank's rock work, or the surface of the water?

Today on BRStv's 52 FAQ, we're talking about the best position to aim your powerheads - and the answer isn't as simple as you might think. Follow along, and when you've finished, let me know how you have your flow setup in your tank!

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Jebao WP60. 2 across the back facing each other but pointed down toward the bottom of the tank. I also have 2 at each end facing the front glass pointed up and toward the middle. I would also like to add two smaller pumps into my system or two gyre pumps.

Cary Hover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAQ #32: Where should I direct my pumps flow - the tank's rock work, or the surface of the water?

Today on BRStv's 52 FAQ, we're talking about the best position to aim your powerheads - and the answer isn't as simple as you might think. Follow along, and when you've finished, let me know how you have your flow setup in your tank!

I have a 450 gallon tank 96" long x 36"tall x 30"deep with one mp60's on each side running 3 different cycles 8 hours each. I also have 8 return tubes splitting sump return from the top of the tank down the back of the rocks but need to get 1 pump of some kind right above gravel on each side of tank along with the mp60's that I currently have top center about 12" down. I have 1" thick plexi-glass so not much to choose from. What would you recommend?

European

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 125 gallon tank, 72" long, 18 1/2" wide and 23" tall, and I have one gyre xf250 Pump which is pushing water from one side of the tank to another and not leaving any dead spot whatsoever.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Jebao WP60. 2 across the back facing each other but pointed down toward the bottom of the tank. I also have 2 at each end facing the front glass pointed up and toward the middle. I would also like to add two smaller pumps into my system or two gyre pumps.

Cool, we've been pretty dang impressed with the Gyres. They provide a pretty unique flow pattern!

Keep oxygen in water column for the longest time, point slightly downward. And move them frequently. How would u like my designed and patented pump?

Interesting! Shoot us an email at [email protected]

I have a 450 gallon tank 96" long x 36"tall x 30"deep with one mp60's on each side running 3 different cycles 8 hours each. I also have 8 return tubes splitting sump return from the top of the tank down the back of the rocks but need to get 1 pump of some kind right above gravel on each side of tank along with the mp60's that I currently have top center about 12" down. I have 1" thick plexi-glass so not much to choose from. What would you recommend?

I ran the MP60's on my 300 and loved them! The thick plexi does present a challenge. Have you looked at the Maxspect Gyres? They could perform well in your situation and there are stronger magnet upgrades available for thicker tanks.

I have 125 gallon tank, 72" long, 18 1/2" wide and 23" tall, and I have one gyre xf250 Pump which is pushing water from one side of the tank to another and not leaving any dead spot whatsoever.

Awesome!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back