powerheads

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
building my first tank, redsea 170e max. Cube 45 gallons for mixed reef setup with fish, lps, softies.
Would two hydor 850 gph be over kill? I have read that estimated flow should be 10-20x size of tank.

Thanks!

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my memory is correct those hydros are not controllable I know they sell a controller for them but by the time you get both pumps and an external controller your probably better off looking into the jebao wave makers that come with the controllers they link together so you can have them run as master and slave to get the full full wave effect that’s what I’m running in my 125 gallon

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my memory is correct those hydros are not controllable I know they sell a controller for them but by the time you get both pumps and an external controller your probably better off looking into the jebao wave makers that come with the controllers they link together so you can have them run as master and slave to get the full full wave effect that’s what I’m running in my 125 gallon
+1 to this. Agreed, controllers are great to have to easily control your flow and Jebao's are good pumps. Perfect for that tank.

And Welcome to R2R!!!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
D

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for info.

You think the 850gph each is too much for the size of my tank?

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for info.

You think the 850gph each is too much for the size of my tank?
If you get the ones with controllers you can turn Down the flow. We can’t say whether it’s to much or to little because to many factors come into play. Rockscape, type of coral, sandbed4, etc

Randomwhiteguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the ones with controllers you can turn Down the flow. We can’t say whether it’s to much or to little because to many factors come into play. Rockscape, type of coral, sandbed4, etc

exactly and you have to remember your creating An artificial ocean in a glass box you don’t want to just put a pump in there and hope it works you need control the more you can tweak and control every element of the tank the more successful you will be

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back