Powering 4 Neros

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

dmreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Nero 5's and I'm thinking about getting two Nero 3's to go with them (to be closer to the sand).

But I don't want _four_ DC adapters to consume space. Nor do I want to buy a 4-way AC outlet splitter so that I only consume one outlet on the Neptune EB832.

So...

I'm thinking about buying a single DC power adapter and using a 4-way splitter so I can power all four powerheads with one adapter.

Technically I know in order to meet the needs of four 24V 1.5A adapters I'd need one 24V 6A adapter (or 144W), and searching Amazon for "144W 24VDC power supply" yields a few results.

Here's the problem -- the sticker on the Nero AC adapters does not describe the polarity. Is the outside negative or positive?

Also, I haven't yet measured the size of the plug, but is it 5.5x2.5mm, 5.5x2.1mm, or something else?

Any official or well-informed answers would be greatly appreciated :)

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a bunch of 24v pumps on a single Meanwell LRS-150-24. You could probably go up to whatever the next size is.

Do you have a pic of the underside of the plug? They're supposed to have a little icon on them.

If not, I'm sure somebody owns a nero and multimeter

OP
OP
D

dmreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a bunch of 24v pumps on a single Meanwell LRS-150-24. You could probably go up to whatever the next size is.

Do you have a pic of the underside of the plug? They're supposed to have a little icon on them.

If not, I'm sure somebody owns a nero and multimeter

Yeah, so no icon on these adapters regarding +/-. Thus a voltmeter would be necessary, which I do not have. Based on the manufacture date my adapters may be early ones, but if the brand new ones have that on the sticker (maybe the Nero 3 adapters have the icon?) I would appreciate the info.

149C23A4-A1BB-4C98-9170-440432FAF4D8.jpeg

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But me personally, I would opt for at least an 8amp. So then it’s not running at the “max” 6amps all the time.

Here’s a 10amp, which would be better. It wouldn’t get as hot...

OP
OP
D

dmreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But me personally, I would opt for at least an 8amp. So then it’s not running at the “max” 6amps all the time.

Here’s a 10amp, which would be better. It wouldn’t get as hot...

Thanks. I like your idea of getting the 10A so that it is not stressed. And the model you suggest includes an adapter to satisfy 2.5mm _and_ 2.1mm plugs.

Are you aware whether the Nero requires - on outside and + on inside? (It’s what most of these seem to supply)

And something like this, I guess, will work?

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I like your idea of getting the 10A so that it is not stressed. And the model you suggest includes an adapter to satisfy 2.5mm _and_ 2.1mm plugs.

Are you aware whether the Nero requires - on outside and + on inside? (It’s what most of these seem to supply)

And something like this, I guess, will work?

I would say yes, that will work. And also yes that 99% of the time (+) is on the inside. I own many power supplies, weather tank related or not. I’ll look over a handful and see if there are any oddballs.

I personally do not own any Nero’s. But, If someone does and had about 3secs and a multimeter it would be easy to confirm.

I have a meter but no Nero’s haha

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a couple Dell 240w laptop power supplies around (laptops with docking stations) - and they get pretty warm. They're also about $150 a piece.

I'd be real nervous about a $40 240+W power supply that's basically a passively cooled plastic brick. I just bought some 4 amp cheap chinese made ones and they get almost hot enough to burn you.

I'm a big fan of the metal housing industrial ones like they use on 3d printers and such (IE MeanWell). The LRS-200-24 (8.3A) might be a match for you. The next one up is the 350 - which is probably way overkill - and also fan cooled (no idea how loud).

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes, that will work. And also yes that 99% of the time (+) is on the inside. I own many power supplies, weather tank related or not. I’ll look over a handful and see if there are any oddballs.

I personally do not own any Nero’s. But, If someone does and had about 3secs and a multimeter it would be easy to confirm.

I have a meter but no Nero’s haha

I wonder if the neros would be any different from another AI power supply.
I have like 8 of them. I think the polarity is correct as you stated with + on inside.
I can confirm later though.

OP
OP
D

dmreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the neros would be any different from another AI power supply.
I have like 8 of them. I think the polarity is correct as you stated with + on inside.
I can confirm later though.

Hey @Saltyreef, if you're able to test the polarity and confirm + on the inside, I will continue with my plans to purchase the power brick and report back whether this idea works.

Thanks for any help.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Saltyreef, if you're able to test the polarity and confirm + on the inside, I will continue with my plans to purchase the power brick and report back whether this idea works.

Thanks for any help.
d00d!
Totally forgot! Let me dig up my fluke and ill let u know here shortly!

OP
OP
D

dmreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it took so long the fluke needed a new battery.

Indeed the positive is on the inside as speculated above.
Cheers :)

20201008_171619.jpg

Thanks! First I need to measure the inside and outside diameters of the Nero plugs (if anyone knows for sure, please reply). Then sometime next week I'll order a sufficient power supply for four devices (two Nero 5 + two Nero 3) and a 4-way splitter. And if it works or not I'll report back :)

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! First I need to measure the inside and outside diameters of the Nero plugs (if anyone knows for sure, please reply). Then sometime next week I'll order a sufficient power supply for four devices (two Nero 5 + two Nero 3) and a 4-way splitter. And if it works or not I'll report back :)
I wish my digital calipers didnt need a watch battery....(the only batteries i dont stock)
Or id let you know in 5 seconds

Why does everything i own seem to have dead battieries all of the sudden?!

OP
OP
D

dmreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my digital calipers didnt need a watch battery....(the only batteries i dont stock)
Or id let you know in 5 seconds

Why does everything i own seem to have dead battieries all of the sudden?!

I have a tape measure -- that's how I'm going to measure it (like 7 times). If you manage to get that thing working before next week, I'd appreciate it ;)

I'm hoping the external dimension is obviously 5.5mm. The power brick I like has adapters for an inner dimension of 2.1 and 2.5mm. The 4-way splitter will have to match from there. I could just buy both.

Anyway, if you can confirm either it reduces what I have to do. Thanks so much!

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us update. I am also looking to power at least 2 Nero 5s using only a single outlet

OP
OP
D

dmreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the parts from Amazon — couldn’t tell whether the inside diameter was 2.1mm or 2.5mm so I had to get both. Will have an update next week

OP
OP
D

dmreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The experiment is working. Being that I have two Nero 5's (1.5A adapters) and two Nero 3's (1.0A adapters), I opted for a 5A 24VDC adapter...most importantly which is UL listed (very hard to find in 24V on Amazon, apparently).

Also, for anyone that is interested, the plug is 5.5mm x 2.1mm with the + on the inside

The brick itself is close in size to the 4 separate adapters, but the cabling is much simpler and it runs very cool to the touch.

IMG_1167.jpeg
IMG_1168.jpeg

And here are my purchases from Amazon:

If anyone has four Nero 5's they'd need a 6A adapter -- if you can find one that is UL listed I'd love to see the link in this thread.

Hope this helps

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back