Powers head chose and placement.

Durangoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need advice on power head Ana placement. I have a 4x2x2 120g mixed reef tank. I have the option to use 1 or 2 icecap 3k gyre or
2 vortech mo40’s. Also need options on placement.
C42CE3D3-4969-4712-8BA5-248907DD1BC0.jpeg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot of options since that is a pretty open scape. If you use the MP40s, I would take advantage of the design of the pump and place them each on the back wall about 2/3s up from the bottom, about 3-5 inches from the side glass. The water flow will follow the side glass and wrap around colliding in the middle. That makes the pumps virtually invisible......especially with your black background. You can also put them on the side glass on opposite sides, again about 2/3s up. If you go that route, I would just place them so they aren't directly across from each other, but off center by a few inches. Finally, the gyres I would put on the sides about 2/3s up directly in the center of the side glass on each side. What is your plan for the tank as far as coral?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Durangoreef I have a similar tank but a lot more rock work. @Waters suggestion of two MP40s on the back wall is a great one. Unfortunately, as a "newbie" I placed on MP 40 on the side glass, and am struggling to get good flow throughout the tank because of a frogspawn that's grown quite large. Not sure if I have room behind my tank to sneak in an MP40 -- but wish I did!

Mos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has a black back wall and I would like to put my power heads on that wall, purely for aesthetics. Just not too sure if it will work well enough with the aquascape etc. It will probably be a case of trial and error.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 MP40s on my 120 on the side walls, offset, as described above. I use the large diffusers from Neat Aquatics so that I don't blast my hammers. Still have to dial them down. You already have one gyre, why not try 2. Maybe a gentler flow if you want LPS. If mostly SPS then you may want the MP40s.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back