Prazi vs Metro

BannerFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi

Can someone please explain how the above 2 medicines work. When i read on non fish articles i get the impression that metro is way more potent than Prazi. I just want to understand when it come to fish why do people advice to use Prazi instead of Metro?

For external parasites metro do not work at all is it? if not can you please explain why it is so

Note that I treat my fish in a hospital tank so if the medicine is not reef safe doesn't really matter

thanks so much

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi

Can someone please explain how the above 2 medicines work. When i read on non fish articles i get the impression that metro is way more potent than Prazi. I just want to understand when it come to fish why do people advice to use Prazi instead of Metro?

For external parasites metro do not work at all is it? if not can you please explain why it is so

Note that I treat my fish in a hospital tank so if the medicine is not reef safe doesn't really matter

thanks so much
Those two drugs affect different classes of disease organisms; praziquantel is an anti-worm drug. It is used mainly against fluke parasites, and sometimes turbellarians. Metronidazole is used to treat protozoan diseases, and some anaerobic bacteria. Metronidazole is most effective when mixed in food, to treat internal protozoans such as Hexamita. The trouble is, few people dose it correctly, and then, it is VERY bitter so fish usually won't eat the food. I don't use Metronidazole any longer except in special applications.

Praziquantel has wider use, and some people even use a form of it in reef tanks. It is specific for controlling only certain types of worms though, nothing else.

Jay

PICK the Most Tested & Least Tested Parameters of your Tank (Pick 2)

• Calcium (most)

Votes: 47 6.4%
  • Alkalinity (most)

Votes: 508 69.6%
  • Magnesium (most)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • Phosphate (most)

Votes: 69 9.5%
  • PH (most)

Votes: 71 9.7%
  • Nitrate (most)

Votes: 71 9.7%