Prazi vs Metro

BannerFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Can someone please explain how the above 2 medicines work. When i read on non fish articles i get the impression that metro is way more potent than Prazi. I just want to understand when it come to fish why do people advice to use Prazi instead of Metro?

For external parasites metro do not work at all is it? if not can you please explain why it is so

Note that I treat my fish in a hospital tank so if the medicine is not reef safe doesn't really matter

thanks so much

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Can someone please explain how the above 2 medicines work. When i read on non fish articles i get the impression that metro is way more potent than Prazi. I just want to understand when it come to fish why do people advice to use Prazi instead of Metro?

For external parasites metro do not work at all is it? if not can you please explain why it is so

Note that I treat my fish in a hospital tank so if the medicine is not reef safe doesn't really matter

thanks so much
Those two drugs affect different classes of disease organisms; praziquantel is an anti-worm drug. It is used mainly against fluke parasites, and sometimes turbellarians. Metronidazole is used to treat protozoan diseases, and some anaerobic bacteria. Metronidazole is most effective when mixed in food, to treat internal protozoans such as Hexamita. The trouble is, few people dose it correctly, and then, it is VERY bitter so fish usually won't eat the food. I don't use Metronidazole any longer except in special applications.

Praziquantel has wider use, and some people even use a form of it in reef tanks. It is specific for controlling only certain types of worms though, nothing else.

Jay

GeraltofReefia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those two drugs affect different classes of disease organisms; praziquantel is an anti-worm drug. It is used mainly against fluke parasites, and sometimes turbellarians. Metronidazole is used to treat protozoan diseases, and some anaerobic bacteria. Metronidazole is most effective when mixed in food, to treat internal protozoans such as Hexamita. The trouble is, few people dose it correctly, and then, it is VERY bitter so fish usually won't eat the food. I don't use Metronidazole any longer except in special applications.

Praziquantel has wider use, and some people even use a form of it in reef tanks. It is specific for controlling only certain types of worms though, nothing else.

Jay
Jay, would you happen to know what form they are using in the reef tanks? I'm fighting flukes pretty hard right now. Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, would you happen to know what form they are using in the reef tanks? I'm fighting flukes pretty hard right now. Thanks
In the US, Prazipro appears to be the most common formulation and seems to be reef safe. You need to increase aeration when using it, and you need to know the exact volume of the tank (minus rock displacement). Curing flukes can be difficult - some species are egg layers and prazi doesn't affect the eggs, These then hatch out later and reinfect the fish. Dosing twice, 10 days apart can sometimes work, but I've had to dose three times in some cases, and I would NOT risk that in a reef tank.

Jay

GeraltofReefia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the US, Prazipro appears to be the most common formulation and seems to be reef safe. You need to increase aeration when using it, and you need to know the exact volume of the tank (minus rock displacement). Curing flukes can be difficult - some species are egg layers and prazi doesn't affect the eggs, These then hatch out later and reinfect the fish. Dosing twice, 10 days apart can sometimes work, but I've had to dose three times in some cases, and I would NOT risk that in a reef tank.

Jay
Understood. But now I'm not sure what to do. I'm pulling very sick fish, FW dipping and putting them in QT to recover. My 30g QT can't house all of the fish even if I was able to break the reef down.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do have prazipro on hand. Also have, rally pro and the kick ick pro compliment, polyp lab's reef safe medic, and multiple seachem products.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood. But now I'm not sure what to do. I'm pulling very sick fish, FW dipping and putting them in QT to recover. My 30g QT can't house all of the fish even if I was able to break the reef down.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do have prazipro on hand. Also have, rally pro and the kick ick pro compliment, polyp lab's reef safe medic, and multiple seachem products.
Did you see large flukes come off in the FW dips? If so, that is Neobenedenia. The absolute best remedy for that is 1/2 salinity for 35 days. I've had terrible luck breaking the life cycle of Neo with just prazi.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back