PraziPro Alternative

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, what med can I use instead? Everyone says PraziPro is safe but I don’t think it is. Fish become listless and cant breathe very well with it. I have never had problem with copper or antibiotics but PP scares me. Anyone use anything else for flukes and int worms?

@Jay Hemdal

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hyposalinity or fenbendazole are your other options.

Prazipro does cause bacterial blooms. You need to point a powerhead towards the surface. Also doing a water change before the second dose.

I got a bacterial bloom from mixing meds, but a diatom filter from marineland cleared it in less than 2 hours! Water changes don’t work for bacterial blooms.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking to dose General Cure myself as I'm not sure if my clowns have parasites seen them multiple times with white trails. not sure of the type ither I think flukes aswell if it works will let ya know

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, what med can I use instead? Everyone says PraziPro is safe but I don’t think it is. Fish become listless and cant breathe very well with it. I have never had problem with copper or antibiotics but PP scares me. Anyone use anything else for flukes and int worms?

@Jay Hemdal
I find that Prazipro is well tolerated as long as the tank is aerated. The solvent used in it is a type of glycol, and bacteria feeds on it, which in turn sucks up oxygen out of the water and raises the CO2 level. Good aeration (best from a strong air stone) takes care of that. I've heard people talk about problems with expired prazipro, but I'm not sure what the issues are.

Regular praziquantel is available, and it is one component of General Cure (metronidazole is the other) but prazi isn't really soluble in seawater (thus the use of a solvent). I press it through a 80 micron net (brine shrimp net) and that disperses it better.

I won't use fenbendazole - it causes fatal reactions in some fish, and I'm not really interested in trying it out on a widespread basis just to find out what species are affected: flashlight fish, darters, catfish and tetras have all been reported to have issues with it.

Jay

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that Prazipro is well tolerated as long as the tank is aerated. The solvent used in it is a type of glycol, and bacteria feeds on it, which in turn sucks up oxygen out of the water and raises the CO2 level. Good aeration (best from a strong air stone) takes care of that. I've heard people talk about problems with expired prazipro, but I'm not sure what the issues are.

Regular praziquantel is available, and it is one component of General Cure (metronidazole is the other) but prazi isn't really soluble in seawater (thus the use of a solvent). I press it through a 80 micron net (brine shrimp net) and that disperses it better.

I won't use fenbendazole - it causes fatal reactions in some fish, and I'm not really interested in trying it out on a widespread basis just to find out what species are affected: flashlight fish, darters, catfish and tetras have all been reported to have issues with it.

Jay
Thanks Jay, look I know we are supposed to treat in qt tanks but I have display qts with multiple fish living. I usually use copper power furn2 and now general cure together without any effect on biofilter. What do you think about nitrofuracin green at NFP? Cant find furan 2 anymore.

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Jay Hemdal
There's evidence that H2O2 controls monogeneans.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's evidence that H2O2 controls monogeneans.

That is from a series of aquaculture studies. The trouble is, that you need to then move the fish to a new aquarium. If you return the fish to the tank it came from, the unhatched eggs will then start the infection up again. Freshwater dips are also effective, but have the same limitation. Even praziquantel treatments have issues, as the prazi doesn't kill the eggs, so you need to repeat the dose, hoping that the eggs eventually die out. A 35 days hyposalinity treatment works best for Neobenedenia.

Jay

Jay

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is from a series of aquaculture studies. The trouble is, that you need to then move the fish to a new aquarium. If you return the fish to the tank it came from, the unhatched eggs will then start the infection up again. Freshwater dips are also effective, but have the same limitation. Even praziquantel treatments have issues, as the prazi doesn't kill the eggs, so you need to repeat the dose, hoping that the eggs eventually die out. A 35 days hyposalinity treatment works best for Neobenedenia.

Jay

Jay
Does this paper indicate activity of H2O2 toward monogenean eggs?

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, look I know we are supposed to treat in qt tanks but I have display qts with multiple fish living. I usually use copper power furn2 and now general cure together without any effect on biofilter. What do you think about nitrofuracin green at NFP? Cant find furan 2 anymore.
@Jay Hemdal I think you missed my ? jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I think you missed my ? jay
Sorry - I don't know the answer. That whole class of drugs is confusing - there are aquarium trade names, and then Furanace, Nifurpirinol, Furacyn, Nitrofurazone...I just don't have a good handle on what is what.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently treating a tang suspected of flukes with fenbendazole after multiple weeks of dosing GC without any improvement. It is acting a bit lethargic, one day after its first treatment, but it has stopped, flashing, head shaking, and itching its face... which it did the entire time while be treated with GC, so hopefully its working.

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, in practical use, that means you would have to dose the whole tank with H2O2 and then change all/most of the water to remove it. That would nuke the biofilter. Also, in the abstract, it says this: "eggs at 48–71 h after laying were not affected."

Jay
FWIW, activated carbon will catalyze the decomposition of H2O2, at least in my experience. I've been able to bring 75ppm down to less than 5ppm in three hours. At that point it's safe to bring the biofilter back online.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i shoulda gone with GC my lfs had tiny bottles of prazipro. been 2 days raised her up added some carbon 50% water change. she turned red so I'm guessing anemic from so many parasites not very hopeful had her for year now

IMAG2071[1366].jpg

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure how to feel today I walk past an she is upright at times today have not seen that in a few days first time using prazipro
IMAG2075[1372].jpg

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this maybe the last update were swimming today actualy swiming!!!! I may still force feed today if she still refuses but I hope it will be the last time
she giving me the eye here xD
IMAG2078[1373].jpg
IMAG2081[1378].jpg
IMAG2082[1376].jpg

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Jay Hemdal
would have gone with GC but she was already on her side when I scooped her out I read Prazi has a faster impact. GC is much more gentle but I don't think it would have worked in my case with her so far gone

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back