PraziPro didn't work on fairy wrasse eye fluke

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is my redfin fairy wrasse with what I think is an eye fluke. She's been on PraziPro for 22 hours now. Since she's a wrasse, which may be sensitive to PraziPro, I was planning to add carbon to take the PraziPro out at 24h. But the fluke appears to still be there. What do I do?

What happened? Did the PraziPro not work? Could it be something other than a fluke? Could the fluke be dead but just hasn't fallen off yet? What do I try next? A second dose? When and how much? Freshwater dip (that scares me)?

She did eat fine this evening, so I don't currently see any ill effects attributable to the PraziPro. But in my experience, by the time you notice, it's too late.

PXL_20201003_174339129.jpg
PXL_20201003_174354111.jpg
PXL_20201003_174224571.jpg

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is my redfin fairy wrasse with what I think is an eye fluke. She's been on PraziPro for 22 hours now. Since she's a wrasse, which may be sensitive to PraziPro, I was planning to add carbon to take the PraziPro out at 24h. But the fluke appears to still be there. What do I do?

What happened? Did the PraziPro not work? Could it be something other than a fluke? Could the fluke be dead but just hasn't fallen off yet? What do I try next? A second dose? When and how much? Freshwater dip (that scares me)?

She did eat fine this evening, so I don't currently see any ill effects attributable to the PraziPro. But in my experience, by the time you notice, it's too late.

PXL_20201003_174339129.jpg
PXL_20201003_174354111.jpg
PXL_20201003_174224571.jpg

As I recall flukes are translucent, unless you did a FW dip they shouldn't be visible to that extent. Yup, according to Humblefish "Because flukes are naturally clear a visual confirmation is nearly impossible. Confirmation of flukes can be obtained via a freshwater dip."

Edit: I just found out that Neobenedenia is visible to the naked eye. So you might be dealing with that.

Last edited:

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I did a little more reading using the link below and according to Humblefish " Capsalidae – common in saltwater fish. They have 2 hooks and are oviviparous. The most common genus of Capsalid found in saltwater aquaria is the Neobenedenia. It is host specific, attacking angelfish, butterflyfish, and elasmobranchs, to name a few targets and location specific (face, lips, and eyes). However, if a fish has an extensive infestation the fluke will find somewhere else on the body to host."

Humblefish also provides a detailed treatment plan in the link below. Good luck.

OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I did a little more reading using the link below and according to Humblefish " Capsalidae – common in saltwater fish. They have 2 hooks and are oviviparous. The most common genus of Capsalid found in saltwater aquaria is the Neobenedenia. It is host specific, attacking angelfish, butterflyfish, and elasmobranchs, to name a few targets and location specific (face, lips, and eyes). However, if a fish has an extensive infestation the fluke will find somewhere else on the body to host."

Humblefish also provides a detailed treatment plan in the link below. Good luck.

Good catch, and I just found that one too. However, the #1 treatment is PraziPro, which apparently hasn't worked. It's "82% effective against Neobenedenia girallae". Just my luck to get one of the 18%ers. I'd probably screw up hyposalinity, so I guess I'm in the market for som Formalin.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch, and I just found that one too. However, the #1 treatment is PraziPro, which apparently hasn't worked. It's "82% effective against Neobenedenia girallae". Just my luck to get one of the 18%ers. I'd probably screw up hyposalinity, so I guess I'm in the market for som Formalin.

Read part a) and b) of treatment 1) ;)

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part a) states " The most common method of dosing Prazi is dosing 2.5 mg for 5-7 days, then performing a water change, and finally redosing the full amount for another 5-7 days. A third and fourth dose may be necessary. Prazipro is reportedly (via personal communication with Hikari) “out of the water” 72 hours after the initial dose. However, once treatment is concluded it is recommended to do a large water change and add carbon to remove all traces of Prazi."

Basically, flukes have a life cycle, they hatch from eggs, then latch onto fish and finally they lay eggs again. This cycle just repeats itself. You need to complete the treatment as directed by part a). 24-hours is not enough, think of it as only killing one wave.

OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 states "Prazi does not kill flukes. It induces uncontrollable spasms to where the fluke dislodges from the fish and continues to spasm. Studies have shown that after 10 hours the fluke dies."

I understand that multiple rounds of medication are required to kill additional baddies as they go through their lifecycle, but the Neobenedenia I can see (assuming that's what it is) should have fallen off by now, no? From the Humblefish's Prazi article:

"If you are treating a known prazi sensitive species (e.g. wrasse), you can run carbon or perform a water change 24 hours after dosing in order to limit exposure time. While praziquantel does remain active in the water column for up to 72 hours, only 24 hours are needed for it to eradicate external worms. Don’t forget to still do the second round though!"

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 states "Prazi does not kill flukes. It induces uncontrollable spasms to where the fluke dislodges from the fish and continues to spasm. Studies have shown that after 10 hours the fluke dies."

I understand that multiple rounds of medication are required to kill additional baddies as they go through their lifecycle, but the Neobenedenia I can see (assuming that's what it is) should have fallen off by now, no? From the Humblefish's Prazi article:

"If you are treating a known prazi sensitive species (e.g. wrasse), you can run carbon or perform a water change 24 hours after dosing in order to limit exposure time. While praziquantel does remain active in the water column for up to 72 hours, only 24 hours are needed for it to eradicate external worms. Don’t forget to still do the second round though!"

Hmm, I'm not sure then. I'd definitely follow Humblefish's recommendations and wait for an expert to chime in tomorrow to be honest. I tried my best to reason through it with you, but my experience is limited sorry I couldn't help.

OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I'm not sure then. I'd definitely follow Humblefish's recommendations and wait for an expert to chime in tomorrow to be honest. I tried my best to reason through it with you, but my experience is limited sorry I couldn't help.

Thanks for your help. IDing it as a Neobenedenia rather than just generically a "fluke" has been very helpful I think. It may be that there's simply not enough research on what to do with the 18% that don't respond to Prazi, but I'm still searching the Interwebs and reading. But there seem to be plenty of folks who swear by freshwater dips, so perhaps it's not a horribly dangerous as I imagine. If the thing isn't gone in a day or so, I may have to do a bit of "science" on fw dips for wrasses with Neobenedenia myself (and publish the results here, of course).

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help. IDing it as a Neobenedenia rather than just generically a "fluke" has been very helpful I think. It may be that there's simply not enough research on what to do with the 18% that don't respond to Prazi, but I'm still searching the Interwebs and reading. But there seem to be plenty of folks who swear by freshwater dips, so perhaps it's not a horribly dangerous as I imagine. If the thing isn't gone in a day or so, I may have to do a bit of "science" on fw dips for wrasses with Neobenedenia myself (and publish the results here, of course).

I think you should do a FW dip, it will at least confirm if it is flukes. A freshwater dip relieves many illnesses, it greatly reduces the overall stress levels at the end of the day. Also, I haven't given up just yet, I'll let you know if I find anything useful.

OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I just need to pick up some cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse (which are both high on my stocking list anyway):

From this article:

The Bluestreak Cleanerwrasse (Labroides dimidiatus) has also proven to be an effective fluke-eater, though it appears to preferentially target only the larger adult worms. On the other hand, the Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) has been shown to feed on the eggs of Neobenedenia, as well as the newly hatched larvae, being able to reduce populations by half in aquarium studies.

Of course, adding cleaner shrimp to QT would severly limit treatment options if something else pops up.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I just need to pick up some cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse (which are both high on my stocking list anyway):

From this article:

The Bluestreak Cleanerwrasse (Labroides dimidiatus) has also proven to be an effective fluke-eater, though it appears to preferentially target only the larger adult worms. On the other hand, the Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) has been shown to feed on the eggs of Neobenedenia, as well as the newly hatched larvae, being able to reduce populations by half in aquarium studies.

Of course, adding cleaner shrimp to QT would severly limit treatment options if something else pops up.

I wanted a cleaner wrasse myself, but after considering the damage caused by taking cleaner wrasses out of the ocean; I opted out of getting one completely. Their survivability rate is extremely poor in captivity. I recommend you avoid it completely for eliminating a part (adults only) of the whole population of flukes. It will also eventually get infected by the flukes as well. The cleaner shrimp will also only deal with a part of the whole population, therefore it isn't a solution. We should be looking for a complete removal here or the fish will only suffer.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to do a FW dip, do it in a bucket that's black so you can see the flukes come out. If you don't see flukes come out, then you know for a fact you're not dealing with flukes.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I head off to bed, Humblefish explains how to do a proper FW dip in regards to Neobenedenia below (post #10).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back