PraziPro Questions

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My clown fish died last week after several days of being lethargic and what seemed to be struggling to breath. I have received several comments that it was probably flukes or some other parasite, and that PraziPro treatment is the recommended path.

I have read the instructions, and have looked through the forum posts on the subject, but I still have a few questions:
1. Do I need to do a large water change prior to first dose? Not sure why this is recommended.
2. There are no fish in the tank at the moment, but I do have a Firefish arriving from TSM on Friday. If I start treatment today, and plan on a second treatment after 5 days, is it okay to add the fish to the display on Friday, or should I put it in my 10g observation tank until the second round is complete?
3. I have an order of Tisbe pods arriving this week as well. Is it okay to add these during treatment? This will be my first time adding any pods to the tank

I'm new to all of this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My clown fish died last week after several days of being lethargic and what seemed to be struggling to breath. I have received several comments that it was probably flukes or some other parasite, and that PraziPro treatment is the recommended path.

I have read the instructions, and have looked through the forum posts on the subject, but I still have a few questions:
1. Do I need to do a large water change prior to first dose? Not sure why this is recommended.
2. There are no fish in the tank at the moment, but I do have a Firefish arriving from TSM on Friday. If I start treatment today, and plan on a second treatment after 5 days, is it okay to add the fish to the display on Friday, or should I put it in my 10g observation tank until the second round is complete?
3. I have an order of Tisbe pods arriving this week as well. Is it okay to add these during treatment? This will be my first time adding any pods to the tank

I'm new to all of this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
1. I don't do a large water change prior to use...unless I just performed another medicated treatment. But, prior to the second dose of Prazi, you want to do a 25% water change....and then another one about 72hrs after the second dose.
2. I'm not sure what exactly you are asking...so here's some info/advice -- Once you start Prazi treatment with one fish, don't add another fish into the same treated tank before you completed the second dose for the first fish. The first dose knocks any "live" flukes that are on the fish, the second dose knocks any flukes that hatched after the initial treatment so you theoretically remove all old and new hatched flukes. Adding another fish in mid treatment will now have the possibility of introducing new flukes (adults) to the system! Prazi does it's job in the first 24-48hrs after dosing, then it supposedly is inactive. You might want to wait until Friday and treat the old fish and new fish together for the first treatment.
3. I don't believe the pods would be affected by Prazi since it is supposed to be reef safe, hence invert safe. But, I personally wouldn't add them to the treated water...just in case.

OP
OP
J

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. For question two, I’m saying I have no fish in the tank. It was suggested that I introduced the flukes from inverts from another supplier, as my fish came from a qt source. So I am essentially trying to get rid of something in the tank that may affect any new fish that I am adding. Since the new fish is also coming from a qt source, it should theoretically be free of internal parasites. But to your point, maybe I wait until I get the fish in the tank and then start the first treatment.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back