Prazipro underdosed

tee89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

So I noticed my McCosker Wrasse shaking its head and come to see its got flukes. I have a 35g tank, with water displacement I believe total water volume is at 30g. I dosed 5ml of Prazipro, technically the full dose would have been about 7.5ml. When I initially dosed my DT I did notice some of the flukes come off, but i'm still noticing few more. Its only day 1 but i'm trying to figure out if i should dose the rest of 2.5ml of Prazi or ride it out for the 7 days, water change and full dose after that or if the 5ml of Prazi is sufficient to get rid of the flukes. Since its a wrasse and I have rock anemones I decided to underdose. I really appreciate if someone can give me some advice on this subject.

thank you

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How were you able to determine the wrasse has flukes? Almost all varieties of flukes found on saltwater fish are too small to see with the naked eye. Did you give the fish a fresh water bath or treat with prazi in a tank without substrate where you might see the flukes on the bottom glass? If the fish had spots on the body and if some have dropped off or appear in new spots, crypto would be indicated.

If you have pictures taken with white light, please include.

If flukes are present, I am not aware of any contraindications regarding anemones or other invertebrates. So, I think a full dose is warranted. As the instructions indicate, turn off the skimmer, remove carbon and turn off UV. Also, add additional aeration.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi R2R,

So I noticed my McCosker Wrasse shaking its head and come to see its got flukes. I have a 35g tank, with water displacement I believe total water volume is at 30g. I dosed 5ml of Prazipro, technically the full dose would have been about 7.5ml. When I initially dosed my DT I did notice some of the flukes come off, but i'm still noticing few more. Its only day 1 but i'm trying to figure out if i should dose the rest of 2.5ml of Prazi or ride it out for the 7 days, water change and full dose after that or if the 5ml of Prazi is sufficient to get rid of the flukes. Since its a wrasse and I have rock anemones I decided to underdose. I really appreciate if someone can give me some advice on this subject.

thank you
Any pics of fish under white lighting ?
If flukes are confirmed, you can do a 5 min freshwater dip the same temperature as display tank in a clean container (preferably dark colored) and then return fish to tank. Look on bottom and see if you see what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales (will be tiny). If so- flukes.
Prazi treatment is 8 days, with water change on day 8 and one more 8 day treatment. Assure your applying full treatment for effectiveness

OP
OP
T

tee89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How were you able to determine the wrasse has flukes? Almost all varieties of flukes found on saltwater fish are too small to see with the naked eye. Did you give the fish a fresh water bath or treat with prazi in a tank without substrate where you might see the flukes on the bottom glass? If the fish had spots on the body and if some have dropped off or appear in new spots, crypto would be indicated.

If you have pictures taken with white light, please include.

If flukes are present, I am not aware of any contraindications regarding anemones or other invertebrates. So, I think a full dose is warranted. As the instructions indicate, turn off the skimmer, remove carbon and turn off UV. Also, add additional aeration.
So the wrasse was twitching its head and also flashed few times. I watched the fish for some time and under white light I saw flatworm like shapes on its body. I'm pretty sure its not crypto, these arent small spots. Right now I only see one and I did notice it move when I initially dosed the prazi. I dont have any photos atm but will get one under white light and post. You think i should dose the rest of the 2.5ml?

OP
OP
T

tee89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics of fish under white lighting ?
If flukes are confirmed, you can do a 5 min freshwater dip the same temperature as display tank in a clean container (preferably dark colored) and then return fish to tank. Look on bottom and see if you see what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales (will be tiny). If so- flukes.
Prazi treatment is 8 days, with water change on day 8 and one more 8 day treatment. Assure your applying full treatment for effectiveness
No pics at the moment but will post once i get a clear enough shot. I will try to catch the wrasse and freshwater dip, but do you think i should go ahead and dose the rest of the 2.5ml?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the wrasse was twitching its head and also flashed few times. I watched the fish for some time and under white light I saw flatworm like shapes on its body. I'm pretty sure its not crypto, these arent small spots. Right now I only see one and I did notice it move when I initially dosed the prazi. I dont have any photos atm but will get one under white light and post. You think i should dose the rest of the 2.5ml?
No wait until next dose.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No wait until next dose.
How long ago did you do first dose? If you just did it add the 2.5. Of not wait to next dose and dose full amount

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No pics at the moment but will post once i get a clear enough shot. I will try to catch the wrasse and freshwater dip, but do you think i should go ahead and dose the rest of the 2.5ml?
Id wait until at least flukes confirmed

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is reef safe, including with anemones. I'd go ahead a do a full dose if you suspect your fish have flukes. Prazipro is very well tolerated... I'd over-dose rather than under-dose it.

blksubykid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose the remaining 2.5ml. Prazi usually runs it’s course within 24hrs and is generally reef safe. It’s a good rule to FW dip any fish with fluke like symptoms to verify and knock off a good amount. Prazi will cause the flukes to spasm and dislodge, which could cause damage to a heavily infested fish (esp if it’s in their eyes)

i would hesitate to overdose prazi with a wrasse as some react poorly to it. Humblefish even suggests to add carbon and do a water change after 24hrs

Last edited:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anecdotally, I've never had any issue with prazi and wrasses.

In fact, I've got a little McCosker wrasse in QT right now, along with a couple anthias... all supposedly "sensative" fish... I accidentally over-dosed prazipro the other day to their QT tank. dosed double what I was supposed to. No issues with the fish, but two days later the QT really started to cloud up. That is when I realized my mistake in doubling the dose by accident. normally prazi doesn't cause cloudiness in my QT tank or my display tank.

prazipro only takes 24 hours or so to work. It had been two days since I accidentally over-dosed it so i did a big water change to get rid of the cloudiness. Everything is back to normal now.

Back