Prazipro vs General Cure

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,
im pretty sure my wrasse has flukes. and i dont have prazipro. it would take at least 10 days to get it from where i live.
i do have general cure. i know prazipro has mixed reviews on wrasses. i was wondering if general cure would be better? i am dosing in on the DT. and planning to mix focus.

would it lower down the immune system of other fish?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any medications will lower the immune system to a certain degree.

I personally have never experienced anything negative with the use of prazi or GC and Wrasses. I treat all of them with one or the other in QT.

GC contains Praziquantel, which so does prazipro. The concentration of praziquantel in GC is slightly less than prazipro. It will perform the same most of the time unless you are dealing with a prazi resistant strain.

You don't need focus to treat for flukes. Just dose the GC into water per instructions. Wait 5-7 days to perform WC and re-dose instead of the two days on instructions.

Focus is to bind medication to food to treat for internal parasites and worms. Flukes are external.

Also recommend a 5 min FW dip to confirm you have flukes.

Side note: GC also contains metronidazole which treats brook and uronema as well externally. Or intestinal parasites through food soaking.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you catch the Wrasse and give it a freshwater dip to confirm the presence of Flukes
Any medications will lower the immune system to a certain degree.

I personally have never experienced anything negative with the use of prazi or GC and Wrasses. I treat all of them with one or the other in QT.

GC contains Praziquantel, which so does prazipro. The concentration of praziquantel in GC is slightly less than prazipro. It will perform the same most of the time unless you are dealing with a prazi resistant strain.

You don't need focus to treat for flukes. Just dose the GC into water per instructions. Wait 5-7 days to perform WC and re-dose instead of the two days on instructions.

Focus is to bind medication to food to treat for internal parasites and worms. Flukes are external.

Also recommend a 5 min FW dip to confirm you have flukes.

Side note: GC also contains metronidazole which treats brook and uronema as well externally. Or intestinal parasites through food soaking.
i actually FW dipped it. and there were some ovally looking thing that was on the water. which im sure is flukes.
my other problem is, since im dosing it in the DT(its 6x2x2.5 ft). im not sure the exact volume of water in it because of rocks and other equipements.
im scared if i overdose, it would harm the wrasses(i have 3, only 1 is showing symptoms of flukes).

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actually FW dipped it. and there were some ovally looking thing that was on the water. which im sure is flukes.
my other problem is, since im dosing it in the DT(its 6x2x2.5 ft). im not sure the exact volume of water in it because of rocks and other equipements.
im scared if i overdose, it would harm the wrasses(i have 3, only 1 is showing symptoms of flukes).
I would recommend not using GC in DT. The fact that it contains metronidazole (deemed not reef safe) would mean in DT you need prazipro.

Or move the fish to QT and use your GC that you have on hand.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend not using GC in DT. The fact that it contains metronidazole (deemed not reef safe) would mean in DT you need prazipro.

Or move the fish to QT and use your GC that you have on hand.
so technically if i qt and then treat with general cure. i would have to wait 5 days after dosing it, and then i can move him back to DT right?
because the 2nd dose is only meant for eggs.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eggs are sometimes found on the fish.
This^^^ and you will still want to order prazipro and treat your DT as the other fish are likely to have flukes that share tank with this fish.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This^^^ and you will still want to order prazipro and treat your DT as the other fish are likely to have flukes that share tank with this fish.
i thought so. if i will be treating prazi in DT. how do i prevent from overdosing(with rocks, hard to estiamte real volume of water)?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought so. if i will be treating prazi in DT. how do i prevent from overdosing(with rocks, hard to estiamte real volume of water)?

Dose the normal amount of Prazipro (1 teaspoon per 20 gals) for your total water volume - including sump.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose the normal amount of Prazipro (1 teaspoon per 20 gals) for your total water volume - including sump.
so i disregard the volume of rocks right? and spacing the dose through 4 hours would be ok?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back