Praziquantel

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed the 2nd treatment. 7 days have passed since the first one. Midas Blenny is still scratching. Clowns seemed to have stopped or I haven't witnessed it anyway.

Fish are known to scratch for a bit after treating for flukes. As the punctures caused by the flatworms heal over, they can itch just like a healing wound on us can itch.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I run prazi and kanaplex same time? Any issues?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I run prazi and kanaplex same time? Any issues?

Unless you have to, don't. It's better to be safe than sorry. I don't believe it would be a problem, but it's always best not to mix when you don't have to. If you need to mix them, then try General Cure (which has prazi in it) with the kanaplex. I know those are fine to mix.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. I'll just run kanaplex. I picked up a new PT and wrasse and doing TTM with planned prazi tomorrow. Today noticed the wrasse has a bad body wound like he got nipped on . I'll change course and do prazi after the wound heals with kana.

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I will have three fish soon going into quarantine - 2 fairy wrasses and 1 blenny. I want to dose the two doses of prazipro, then run coppersafe for ~28 days at 1.5-2.0ppm.

I have some questions:
The QT is about 25 gallons. I know the dose calls for 1 teaspoon/20 gallons, but with two wrasses and their sensitivity, is 1 teaspoon enough? Or should I dose 1.25 teaspoons? Regardless I'd do a 5g waterchange 24 hours later, then 6 days later another prazi dose, followed by another 5g waterchange 24 hours later.

Do I need to run a poly filter between prazi and coppersafe to make sure the remainder of prazi is taken out? Or should the 5g waterchange be sufficient?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the dose calls for 1 teaspoon/20 gallons, but with two wrasses and their sensitivity, is 1 teaspoon enough? Or should I dose 1.25 teaspoons? Regardless I'd do a 5g waterchange 24 hours later, then 6 days later another prazi dose, followed by another 5g waterchange 24 hours later.

Prazipro is slightly overdosed praziquantel. It contains a concentration of 2.5 mg/L, when just 2.0 mg/L is needed. So, dosing 1 teaspoon (5 mL) into 25 gallons would yield the adequate dosage of 2.0 mg/L. :)

Do I need to run a poly filter between prazi and coppersafe to make sure the remainder of prazi is taken out? Or should the 5g waterchange be sufficient?

5 gal water change + 24 hours of carbon should be sufficient. I don't think a poly filter will pull prazi out of the water.

57hornet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro (praziquantel): Treats flukes, black ich, and some internal parasites (worms).

How To Treat - In either a quarantine or display tank, dose Prazipro at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons of water. DO NOT OVERDOSE (especially with wrasses), try not to mix with other medications (for various reasons), and provide additional gas exchange while treating with Prazi. Wait about a week, do a 20-25% water change and then repeat dosage. The reason for the second dose is to eradicate the “next generation” of worms before they can lay eggs of their own. Because while Prazi does kill worms, it doesn’t eliminate any eggs they might leave behind.

If you are treating a known prazi sensitive species (ex. wrasse), you can run carbon or perform a water change 24 hours after dosing in order to limit exposure time. While praziquantel does remain active in the water column for up to 72 hours, only 24 hours are needed for it to eradicate external worms. Don't forget to still do the second round though!

Prazipro is generally considered reef safe, although it may kill any tube worms/feathers dusters you have. It may also eradicate bristle worms. If you have mass quantities of these, the resulting die-off can lead to an ammonia spike. After treatment is done, activated carbon may be used to remove any residuals (if you need to use a different medication next). If using a protein skimmer post-treatment, be advised that it will “over skim” for at least a couple of weeks.

Pros - Reef safe, effective dewormer that is relatively gentle on most fish.

Cons/Side Effects - Mild appetite suppression, moderate oxygen depletion, wrasses are sensitive to overdosing.

We had 7 small fish in a 29 gallon bare QT tank and did two doses of prazi following instructions above. Lost 3 clowns after 2nd doze. 4th clown is very lethargic and won't eat. 2 bangai cards and 1 coral beauty seem to be ok. None of the clowns seemed to look sick other then they slowly got lethargic, wouldn't eat and eventually died. We added an air stone, did the water changes, tested water quality which was fine. We did add carbon, cleaned as best we could and after a couple of days no improvement in the last clown. Have chloroquine to add when we think the fish are ok. We have another QT tank we were going to use for corals, its cycled and ready to go but thinking of moving the fish to that one to see if it makes a difference. We are stumped and very sad. Any thoughts or advice?

Thank you :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had 7 small fish in a 29 gallon bare QT tank and did two doses of prazi following instructions above. Lost 3 clowns after 2nd doze. 4th clown is very lethargic and won't eat. 2 bangai cards and 1 coral beauty seem to be ok. None of the clowns seemed to look sick other then they slowly got lethargic, wouldn't eat and eventually died. We added an air stone, did the water changes, tested water quality which was fine. We did add carbon, cleaned as best we could and after a couple of days no improvement in the last clown. Have chloroquine to add when we think the fish are ok. We have another QT tank we were going to use for corals, its cycled and ready to go but thinking of moving the fish to that one to see if it makes a difference. We are stumped and very sad. Any thoughts or advice?

Did you do a 20-25% WC before administering the second dose of Prazipro? How far apart did you space the dosages? Any cloudy water while using Prazipro?

Were only clownfish lost? They are highly susceptible to brook, a disease Prazipro does not treat: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

57hornet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do a 20-25% WC before administering the second dose of Prazipro? How far apart did you space the dosages? Any cloudy water while using Prazipro?

Were only clownfish lost? They are highly susceptible to brook, a disease Prazipro does not treat: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

Yes, we did a 25% WC before the 2nd prazi dose. The doses were 7 days apart. Yes, the water was cloudy. We added the air stone and after 2nd dose we did another WC 3 days later because it was cloudy and the clowns were looking lethargic and then added the carbon. Only the clowns were lost. There were no outward signs of brook. Thank you so much for any advice you have. We are just starting out and this was a tragic loss for us.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we did a 25% WC before the 2nd prazi dose. The doses were 7 days apart. Yes, the water was cloudy. We added the air stone and after 2nd dose we did another WC 3 days later because it was cloudy and the clowns were looking lethargic and then added the carbon. Only the clowns were lost. There were no outward signs of brook. Thank you so much for any advice you have. We are just starting out and this was a tragic loss for us.

Which fish survived? It is odd for clownfish to die and not others because clowns are some of the hardiest fish around. Except when it comes to brook.

57hornet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which fish survived? It is odd for clownfish to die and not others because clowns are some of the hardiest fish around. Except when it comes to brook.

This is exactly what we thought! It IS odd and why it's so confusing. We started with 7 fish: 2 black and white clowns, 2 perculas, 2 bangai cardinals, 1 coral beauty. The surviving fish are: 2 bangai cards, 1 coral beauty and 1 perc. Perc is sill lethargic and not eating. Zero signs of white stringy poo or anything white and slimy. No outward signs of brook. The cards and coral beauty are just fine. We don't know what to do so it doesnt happen again or how to help the remaining perc.

We moved the fish into the other QT tank this morning. It has a small amount of sand as it was going to be for corals. Here is a pic of the perc

p.s. my husband reports the clown has started moving some in the new tank. could the water quality in the 1st tank have been that bad?? It looked cloudy but not what we thought was terrible. amonia, salinty and temp were all good.

fish.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those cardinals are about as tough as clownfish, but not the Coral Beauty. I personally would dose Metroplex for 10 days just to be sure brook isn't latent in your QT.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a square spot anthias in my DT that has stringy white doodoo. I guess I need to dose Prazi but am worried about my Hawaiian cleaner wrasse. Anyone know if that species will tolerate Prazi?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a square spot anthias in my DT that has stringy white doodoo. I guess I need to dose Prazi but am worried about my Hawaiian cleaner wrasse. Anyone know if that species will tolerate Prazi?

White stringy poop = intestinal worms

I would food soak metronidazole, using Seachem Focus to bind the medication to the fish's food.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back