Praziquantel

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the input.. interstingly.. i just did another dose .. second round and the scribble twitched again and went into the same routine .. although this time for only a few hours not 12 hours.. so i guess i needed the second round .. and i guess i had flukes int he gills although none of the fish showed signs of it.. and all were eating like pigs.. only sign was scribble was a little pale and drabish looking... is that a word.. drabish?

one closing question.. did i read the above posts corrected treated with copper safe for only 14 days and same time did prazi...?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one closing question.. did i read the above posts corrected treated with copper safe for only 14 days and same time did prazi...?

Are you asking if copper & prazi can be mixed? The answer is technically yes, but it is less than ideal to do so because sometimes a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) will develop in the QT.

You can also only treat with copper for 14 days IF you transfer the fish into a totally clean observation tank. Nothing can be reused from the QT to setup the observation tank, only transfer the fish. Do not drop the copper level prior to transferring, and be sure the observation tank is at least 10 feet away from the QT (to avoid aerosol transmission).

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok... got it onthe prazi and copper mix issue.. thanks for the update.. as for the other question.

are we saying we can put the fish that go through QT in copper for 14 days into the Display tank ? I note that you say observation tank. I guess I am a little confused as I always thought the fish had to go through copper for 30 days... Thanks again as always..

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are we saying we can put the fish that go through QT in copper for 14 days into the Display tank ? I note that you say observation tank. I guess I am a little confused as I always thought the fish had to go through copper for 30 days... Thanks again as always..

The 14 day & then transfer method is cutting it really close, so I strongly advise using an observation tank before placing the fish in your DT. If you execute it perfectly, the fish will be ich/velvet free. But what if the copper level dipped just below therapeutic once during the 14 day period? What if the fish develops a bacterial infection from being in copper for 14 days (copper is an immunosuppressant)? I could come up with a dozen other scenarios...

The observation tank is designed to be a safeguard measure just in case something didn't go quite right during the 14 day treatment period. We are all human, we all make mistakes. ;)

The main upside is you are limiting the fish's exposure to being in copper poison (just 14 days), and can treat for other diseases (flukes, bacterial infections, etc.) in observation without having to mix medications w/copper. IMO; mixing meds should only be done in an emergency situation, when multiple diseases are in play. Or a nasty looking gram negative bacterial infection necessitates the need to use multiple antibiotics to widen the spectrum of treatment. It's all about risk analysis.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is slightly overdosed praziquantel. It contains a concentration of 2.5 mg/L, when just 2.0 mg/L is needed. So, dosing 1 teaspoon (5 mL) into 25 gallons would yield the adequate dosage of 2.0 mg/L. :)

5 gal water change + 24 hours of carbon should be sufficient. I don't think a poly filter will pull prazi out of the water.

Hi humble, the only praziquantel part product in the UK we can source is flukesolve, it’s 50% praziquantel,

Their instructions are the following;

4g recommended for 1000l (as it’s 50% prazi, I imagine that is 2.0mg/l

Add one 1g scoop to 250ml water, then add 1ml per litre of tank volume.

https://www.fish-treatment.co.uk/fluke-solve-aquarium/

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi humble, the only praziquantel part product in the UK we can source is flukesolve, it’s 50% praziquantel,

Their instructions are the following;

4g recommended for 1000l (as it’s 50% prazi, I imagine that is 2.0mg/l

Add one 1g scoop to 250ml water, then add 1ml per litre of tank volume.

https://www.fish-treatment.co.uk/fluke-solve-aquarium/

Thanks! Good info for our friends across the pond.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish after I treated my purple Tang I have noticed other fish with possible flukes. I assume my system is infected though all other fish seem happy and under no stress that I can see. I want to treat my entire reef for 24hrs, agin in 7 days more. After 24hrs, water change and fresh carbon to minimize risk to corals and other livestock. Only think that might be a problem are bristle worms, don’t mind losing them but the ammonia I am. I have very robust filtration, large skimmer, lots of flow, and huge chaeto fuge.

What are your thoughts? On a scale 1-10 what is the risk to my corals from the PraziPro it’s self?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish after I treated my purple Tang I have noticed other fish with possible flukes. I assume my system is infected though all other fish seem happy and under no stress that I can see. I want to treat my entire reef for 24hrs, agin in 7 days more. After 24hrs, water change and fresh carbon to minimize risk to corals and other livestock. Only think that might be a problem are bristle worms, don’t mind losing them but the ammonia I am. I have very robust filtration, large skimmer, lots of flow, and huge chaeto fuge.

What are your thoughts? On a scale 1-10 what is the risk to my corals from the PraziPro it’s self?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How many bristleworms do you have? A large population? Sometimes they are unaffected by PraziPro, but if a large die-off were to occur it would be a disaster as the ammonia would spike in your DT. :eek:

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many bristleworms do you have? A large population? Sometimes they are unaffected by PraziPro, but if a large die-off were to occur it would be a disaster as the ammonia would spike in your DT. :eek:

I guess it’s large, I mean I see several at night if I’m looking around with a flash light.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe I could get some ammonia absorber and run it in a reactor. Theres now way to catch all my fish right now.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I could get some ammonia absorber and run it in a reactor. Theres now way to catch all my fish right now.

Or keep an ammonia reducer and A LOT of freshly mixed SW on hand.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 100g mixing station, I can fill it in less than half a day. I’ve 2 box’s of IO and Seachem Safe. I assume Safe is safe to use in such instances.

However my main worry if for the livestock and PraziPro it’s self, but I’ve done some more reading and many negative effects to reef tanks from it’s direct use.

I read there are some using more than recommend, is there any benefit to that?

Again, thanks

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read there are some using more than recommend, is there any benefit to that?

Negative; Prazipro is already slightly overdosed praziquantel, so I would stick with 1 teaspoon per 20 gals.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Purple Tang eye has begun to heal nicely. I just dosed my display today and things are looking ok for now. Plenty of carbon and water ready to change when/if needed.

As always, thank you Humblefish!

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed praziquantel at the correct dosage with suspected flukes, has anyone noticed fish twitch or rub during praziquantel medication?

Do flukes lay eggs on the fish? Or do they release them to fall on the bottom

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious about prazi sensitive fish like a wrasse. I read that you can do a water change and start running copper after 24 hours. This may seem dumb, but does that apply to fish that bury themselves in sand too?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
? Where are people finding this info on prazi being bad for wrasses. I never had a problem with wrasses and prazi not even the slightest

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back