Prazipro

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I need some help. I did my first dose of Prazipro correctly. Did a water change on day 6 and ran carbon. Put the second dose on 5/4/21. I forgot to take the carbon out before adding the second dose. Just realized today (5/9/21) that the carbon was still in the tank. Would I have to restart the treatment?

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do another big water change and re-dose. But you need the big water change to limit the chance of an over dose.

OP
OP
ry_gon

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do another big water change and re-dose. But you need the big water change to limit the chance of an over dose.
Ok re-dose one time or start the whole treatment over?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One time for second dose. I would not worry too much about overdosing as it does not stay is the system for very long.
Do you have information supporting this? I'd be interested in reading it.

I have always been under the impression that PraziPro does its work in the first 24 hours after dosing, but that it still stays in the water column until removed... hence the need for the water change prior to the next dose to minimize overdosing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have information supporting this? I'd be interested in reading it.

I have always been under the impression that PraziPro does its work in the first 24 hours after dosing, but that it still stays in the water column until removed... hence the need for the water change prior to the next dose to minimize overdosing.
Dr. Stamper ran a study down at Disney. In sterile conditions, praziquantel stays in solution for weeks, but in the presence of bacteria, it is broken down in days, and then, once the prazi-eating bacteria grow, it breaks down in hours.
Praziquantel can be dosed safely at double the dose in Prazipro HOWEVER, it is the solvent in Prazipro that is the problem - that is a glycol and bacteria act on it, causing an oxygen drop. After about 3 days, that is all worked out, so redosing isn't an issue then.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back