Praziquantel + wrasses? Or, treating without praziquantel

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Source

I'm working on making a quarantine protocol, and found this small tidbit from the source material: wrasses are praziquantel sensitive. Is this true? If so, how do you beat down all of the prazi-beatable stuff like flukes, black ich, and intestinal parasites?

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Source

I'm working on making a quarantine protocol, and found this small tidbit from the source material: wrasses are praziquantel sensitive. Is this true? If so, how do you beat down all of the prazi-beatable stuff like flukes, black ich, and intestinal parasites?

I put my (3) Blue Star Leopard Wrasses through 2 doses of Prazipro. The key for me was waiting a solid 5 days of them actually eating before dosing Prazipro. I also only did 48 hour doses and then changed 50% water and added Carbon.

Lots of debate on here if you search, but I’ve only had three wrasses which are the Blue Stars I ordered from Live Aqauaria.

They are thriving in my DT now for 2-1/2 months now. Eat everything from Mysis/LRS/pellets - one even its algae sheets!!

Best of luck with whatever route you go. That’s just my .02.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it mostly a "just make sure the fish eat/get enough food in them" issue then?
I think it depends on the type of wrasse. If they are notorious for being difficult to get on prepared foods then yes. Some other wrasses are not picky about food.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Source

I used it on leopards and china wrasse and so on.

I use it for 24 hour then remove it with carbon and do a 2nd dose 6 days later.

I dose slightly less than what the instructions say on the bottle as it is actually more potent than it needs to be to kill flukes.

Always make sure to account for actual water volume.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen any adverse reaction with wrasse dosed with praziquantel sans solvent. The latter is the wild card I think.
Jay

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used general cure (two full strength doses) on two flasher wrasses and a pintail fairy wrasse with no issues. I used prazipro on a longfin fairy (confirmed flukes) and he immediately reacted very poorly, never recovered, and died 2 days later - so no more prazipro with wrasses for me.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used general cure (two full strength doses) on two flasher wrasses and a pintail fairy wrasse with no issues. I used prazipro on a longfin fairy (confirmed flukes) and he immediately reacted very poorly, never recovered, and died 2 days later - so no more prazipro with wrasses for me.
On a thing that always needs to be watched for with prazi- if the fish have a heavy fluke infestation, they can actually bleed out when all the flukes drop off due to a successful treatment. One was to diagnose this is the fish will have very pale, white gills (anemic).
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back