Pre-Quarantined fish now gasping for air

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small wavemaker positioned to maximize surface agitation vs. Tetra AP150 and air stone:

1628795540868.png

Large wavemaker (~25 W) positioned to maximize surface agitation vs. water pump (~40 W) vs. Tetra AP150 and air stone:

1628795600275.png

This wavemaker turned the surface of my tank into whitewater. I could hear it in the middle of the night from upstairs and got up several times to check that water wasn't being splashed out of the tank.

The bottom pump was stuck to the bare bottom of the tank with the output aimed directly upwards. It blasted quite a lot of water upwards. The intent was to test the importance of circulation.

And while I'm at it, here's a 40X overdose of Prime:

2020-06-07 21_21_22-oxygenation 3.xlsx - Excel.png

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
As part of a Hybrid TTM to eradicate Velvet, Humblefish has recommended adding 150 PPM of H2O2 to a bath for 30 mins when transferring the fish. 2 baths are recommended 6 days apart. It is still in testing phase but it shows a lot of promise. I've used it when QTing new fish with great success. Might be worth a shot.

Is there an ongoing thread about this? Can you link, please? Thanks.

OP
OP
P

Pisanoal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small wavemaker positioned to maximize surface agitation vs. Tetra AP150 and air stone:

1628795540868.png

Large wavemaker (~25 W) positioned to maximize surface agitation vs. water pump (~40 W) vs. Tetra AP150 and air stone:

1628795600275.png

This wavemaker turned the surface of my tank into whitewater. I could hear it in the middle of the night from upstairs and got up several times to check that water wasn't being splashed out of the tank.

The bottom pump was stuck to the bare bottom of the tank with the output aimed directly upwards. It blasted quite a lot of water upwards. The intent was to test the importance of circulation.

And while I'm at it, here's a 40X overdose of Prime:

2020-06-07 21_21_22-oxygenation 3.xlsx - Excel.png
Super interesting...

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an ongoing thread about this? Can you link, please? Thanks.
Probably not on R2R. Humblefish has his own forum and Hybrid TTM is well documented there.
That's where I picked it up from. Along with H2O2 for Velvet, it also incorporates a GC/Prazi application for defluking and the TTM handles the ich.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Probably not on R2R. Humblefish has his own forum and Hybrid TTM is well documented there.
That's where I picked it up from. Along with H2O2 for Velvet, it also incorporates a GC/Prazi application for defluking and the TTM handles the ich.

I'll look both up, thanks.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

I have talked to Mike aka Dr. Reef. He has assured me shipping of a conditioned fish instead of a quarantined fish can not happen based on how he is set up. He was very helpful, if not just hard to get a hold of.

#MODS can you please delete this thread? I do not want to spread incorrect information about a vendor.

Thank you.
Out of curiosity, What misinformation? The fish is in the condition you claim, and he's almost impossible to get a hold of, and the salinity was very low when you received it.. what is false here?

Given there has been no cause yet, doesn't it seem more responsible to let this play out and bringing an update for the future people who need that information?

OP
OP
P

Pisanoal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, What misinformation? The fish is in the condition you claim, and he's almost impossible to get a hold of, and the salinity was very low when you received it.. what is false here?

Given there has been no cause yet, doesn't it seem more responsible to let this play out and bringing an update for the future people who need that information?
In my opinion, this can be misconstrued as blaming the vendor for doing a poor job. I would have left the name out of it if not for the lack of response which I have since gotten and he has been more then accommodating since then.

Information itself may not be false, but I presented it in a way that I don't think was fair

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pisanoal I will say I have purchased multiple fish from Mike and Dr. Reef, I went with the full QT as I don't have a QT tank currently setup. I did have an issue with one of the fish of the 6 that didn't make it, most likely due to stress during shipping if I had to guess. Mike was quick to respond and also provide a credit for the loss. I would definitely recommend him and the service he provides.

OP
OP
P

Pisanoal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pisanoal I will say I have purchased multiple fish from Mike and Dr. Reef, I went with the full QT as I don't have a QT tank currently setup. I did have an issue with one of the fish of the 6 that didn't make it, most likely due to stress during shipping if I had to guess. Mike was quick to respond and also provide a credit for the loss. I would definitely recommend him and the service he provides.

Thanks. My main issue was the lack of communication. It's easy to speculate without information. I spoke to him a little bit ago and he has assured me that shipping a conditioned fish vs a quarantined fish is not really possible. They are not kept in the same location (like the quarantined fish are at his house, and the conditioned fish are somewhere else entirely from what i gathered). He was also very helpful and promised to cover the fish even though if something does happen from this event, at this point he will be outside the warrantee (although just).

That's why I'd like the #MODS to delete this thread :). Or at least allow me to edit the title and my first post if that's possible. I don't want to give people the wrong idea about an otherwise great vendor.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2019-10-27 17_47_04-Evaluation of oxygen transfer from bubble and free surface in bubble react...png

2019-10-27 17_38_34-lee2018.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.png

2019-10-27 17_39_01-lee2018.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.png

Yes, you read that right. Oxygen transfer via surface agitation is at best only 5% of total oxygen transfer from a bubble plume.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

Interesting graphs, and while I don't want to derail this thread the 2 top graphs tend to contradict themselves in one area .....

Both show opposing data on oxygen levels when the wavemaker was turned ON.

1628798639656.png

1628798668873.png

.....while confirming that a wavewaker is as effective at bringing oxygen levels....something we already knew.

1628798761002.png

1628798772941.png

To keep it on topic... I think we established the O/P has enough oxygen in his WC

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting graphs, and while I don't want to derail this thread the 2 top graphs tend to contradict themselves in one area .....

Both show opposing data on oxygen levels when the wavemaker was turned ON

Small wavemaker 6W for 5.25 mg/L
Air pump 3.5W for 6.2 mg/L
Large wavemaker 25W for 6.2-6.3 mg/L
Water pump 40W for 5.5 mg/L

Baseline with the wet/dry filter only was ~4-5 mg/L (I thought these things were good at aeration!)

So, running the air pump then switching to the small wavemaker sees O2 decline. But turning everything off except the wet/dry filter then turning on the large wavemaker sees O2 rise.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

1628799756668.png

Yes, you read that right. Oxygen transfer via surface agitation is at best only 5% of total oxygen transfer from a bubble plume.

The graph only shows that the more air you flow the less of it is transferred. Either way, only a small percentage is transferred from the airstone as shown

Higher airflow does not equal more transfer.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you are wrong too. That's my main concern.

Let's assume it is though.

Treatment? I don't have formalin. I have copper power, but I'm guessing at this point that's probably going to be too slow? I've heard freshwater dip to help alleviate it some in the short term? Is there anything else I could pick up from a farm store that would work faster for some immediate relief while I get him into copper? Is there something I can dip him in that would help with gill flukes/bacterial disease etc? I do have some antibiotics.

Thanks
Yes - a 5 minute FW dip will buy you some, especially if you can move the fish to a new tank. Copper takes up to 72 hours to start to work, so for sure if you go that route, get to a full dose the first day.
Jay

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Small wavemaker 6W for 5.25 mg/L
Air pump 3.5W for 6.2 mg/L
Large wavemaker 25W for 6.2-6.3 mg/L
Water pump 40W for 5.5 mg/L

Baseline with the wet/dry filter only was ~4-5 mg/L (I thought these things were good at aeration!)

So, running the air pump then switching to the small wavemaker sees O2 decline. But turning everything off except the wet/dry filter then turning on the large wavemaker sees O2 rise.

Agreed.

So this just shows that (air pump with air stone) is a cheap way of moving water to the top to provide oxygen exchange at the surface, something I already said, hence these large airstones being deployed in outdoor pond environments/treatment facilities where powerheads would be impossible to implement/expensive to run.

Still, nobody has been able to provide any data that shows that airstones diffuse air into the water column at any meaningful rate.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was Mike I would not want this thread closed before the resolution is found. Even if it's closed Google still finds it. I would hate that to be the most recent entry.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The graph only shows that the more air you flow the less of it is transferred. Either way, only a small percentage is transferred from the airstone as shown

Higher airflow does not equal more transfer.

It's surface mass transfer to total mass transfer at various airflow rates. The best surface transfer achieves is 5% of total mass transfer.

There are a half dozen studies with similar results. One used nitrogen diffusion and came up with 94% bubble, 6% surface.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is definitely a disconnect here as I don't think I disagreed with you in anything you said.
That’s why I started off with “I’m not sure what your post means”.

Jay

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Anyway, to add to the thread. CBBs are notoriously hard to acclimate and keep long-term. Good luck to the O/P.

If Jay cannot help here, I don't know who can.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back