Pre Quarantined Fish

Dennis2213

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I would like to see if anyone has any experience buying pre Quarantined Fish? I have used TSM in the past and have had great success with them. Do any of you have any input on Dr reefs quarantined fish? Any feedback would be great, thanks!

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never trust these sites or vendors that claim they sell fully qt fish. Just think anyone selling enough fish that they can make a living from it , can’t fully qt that many fish and do it as carefully as you or I would do it

but that being said.
That doesn’t mean they can’t do a decent job of at least selecting healthier fish that have a better chance to live

so if you simply aren’t going to not qt a wild caught fish, buy it for $100 or pay $150 for semi qt fish
Well that’s is all up to you

well only uou

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

I would like to see if anyone has any experience buying pre Quarantined Fish? I have used TSM in the past and have had great success with them. Do any of you have any input on Dr reefs quarantined fish? Any feedback would be great, thanks!
I’ve purchased from DrReef several times. All fish and CUC are healthy and still alive. At the two to three-year mark with most of them now. It takes a little bit but it’s worth the wait.

OP
OP
D

Dennis2213

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never trust these sites or vendors that claim they sell fully qt fish. Just think anyone selling enough fish that they can make a living from it , can’t fully qt that many fish and do it as carefully as you or I would do it

but that being said.
That doesn’t mean they can’t do a decent job of at least selecting healthier fish that have a better chance to live

so if you simply aren’t going to not qt a wild caught fish, buy it for $100 or pay $150 for semi qt fish

well only uou
I have delt with

but that being said.

well only uou
I deal with TSM and have visited their facility before closing to public. Trust me they have a very legit process. In my opinion several dollars more is worth it. When you QT your fish and it dies, it becomes way more expensive when you have to buy it and quarantine twice.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Properly quarantining your own fish is best, but if you are not set up for that, buying prequarantined fish is a close second. The only hiccup in the process is that usually, this means having fish shipped to you. That process is a bit stressful, and adding those stressed fish right into your display puts them at a disadvantage in terms of adapting to the other fish in your tank.
Jay

HK180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM is my go-to for ordering fish. The only downside is that I've been too slow to pull the trigger and missed out on a couple beauties.

I've been considering placing an order with Dr. Reef (who has many positive reviews) and will update if I do. From what I understand, fish are quarantined to order, so there is a bit of a delay, but it's worth it.

I've heard good things about Marine Collectors. Again, fish are caught and QT to order, so there is a time delay.

ReefPro unfortunately no longer sells quarantined fish. I've though of QTing a few fish myself, but my success rate is lower than what I'm comfortable with.

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered from both tsm and dr reef. Most of my fish are from tsm and I wouldn’t hesitate to order from them again but I put in an order from dr reef for a few chromis, a diamond goby, leopard wrasse, and maroon clowns. All fish are still thriving and it’s been 4 months. The clowns I did have to rehome because they wouldn’t pair but that obviously has nothing to do with him. Dr reef replaced my leopard wrasse that died the very first night even though it says on his website it’s not covered by his guarantee. The second is doing awesome and eating frozen so that’s pretty great customer service. It does take a while from dr reef and communication can be spotty but I believe his fish are as high of quality as tsm. My powder blue would have to concur his fish come in super healthy and clean. I would definitely order from him again, just have to be patient if you do.

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running copper in my display tank to combat cryptocaryon that came in with a quarantined fish. He also came with a bacterial infection that took my flame angel and a pair of red-striped tilefish. I had QT'd all the other fish in my main tank prior to receiving the treated fish. That same order also included an emaciated, moribund copperband and two cleaner shrimp that arrived dead in their bags. I likely would have done an abbreviated QT with the pre-treated fish had my quarantine tank not already been full. This is the one time I didn't do my own QT, and I won't make that mistake again. Hard lesson learned.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running copper in my display tank to combat cryptocaryon that came in with a quarantined fish. He also came with a bacterial infection that took my flame angel and a pair of red-striped tilefish. I had QT'd all the other fish in my main tank prior to receiving the treated fish. That same order also included an emaciated, moribund copperband and two cleaner shrimp that arrived dead in their bags. I likely would have done an abbreviated QT with the pre-treated fish had my quarantine tank not already been full. This is the one time I didn't do my own QT, and I won't make that mistake again. Hard lesson learned.
Who did you get fish from?

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Properly quarantining your own fish is best, but if you are not set up for that, buying prequarantined fish is a close second. The only hiccup in the process is that usually, this means having fish shipped to you. That process is a bit stressful, and adding those stressed fish right into your display puts them at a disadvantage in terms of adapting to the other fish in your tank.
Jay
[/QUOTE
Could you tell me how you would quarantine Radiant Wrasse? I know it’s very sensitive fish. None of the vendors wants to Qt this fish.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have delt with

I deal with TSM and have visited their facility before closing to public. Trust me they have a very legit process. In my opinion several dollars more is worth it. When you QT your fish and it dies, it becomes way more expensive when you have to buy it and quarantine twice.
The only thing I don't like is the minimum order on live stock. IMHO they should allow you to buy gift cards to make up the difference.

I'm getting a one spot fox this Friday though! (And some zoas I really didn't want)

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have bought fish from there, though I always reccomend quaranting, no matter what the seller says.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jp_75 I QT two radiant wrasse myself. They did very well... they are poor shippers but otherwise do not seem any more sensitive than other Halichoeres wrasses. They are spawning now.

I did hybrid TTM (TTM + peroxide dips) as my QT. This is them during QT eating mysis in a bucket.

In the cycled observation tanK:

and display tank (all fish were QT myself with hybrid TTM):

W00F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard three places. Does anyone else have a source of QTed fish they would recommend?

1) Dr Reef
2) TSM
3) Marine Collections

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard three places. Does anyone else have a source of QTed fish they would recommend?

1) Dr Reef
2) TSM
3) Marine Collections

Scroll down to quarantined livestock venders. There are several.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back