Pre treat/supplementing my water storage

Wagtribe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my salt mixing station in my garage. I pump both Salt mix and RO/DI water above the ceiling, across rafters and down into my "fish room" (extra closet) behind the wall where my Display tank is. Inside the fish room I have 2 acrylic reservoir, 10 gal. for salt and 5 gal. for RO water. The reason I do this is here in S. Florida my garage temp. runs 85-95 deg. in the summer, so having the holding reservoirs inside I can store it at room temp. My question; is there a way or technique to pre-dose or treat my water before I send it to ATO or Auto Water change via my DOS. I have read about adding Kalk to the ATO container and slowly add via top off. I have a small circulating pump in the Salt water reservoir running and was wondering if there is any benefit to supplementing or pre-dosing my salt or RO water while in the holding container? I currently dose Red Sea foundation to my sump, but I always wondered if anyone has pre-supplemented there water?
Water flow.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all dependent on what your salt mix parameters are and if you need to boost them.
I run my tank at the same parameters as my fresh mixed salt water to negate having to boost or decrease anything in the mixing barrel.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend you NOT pre-dose anything in your large RO/DI water container. You'll want that pristine for mixing salt and replenishing you ATO for evap. If you want, mix your kalk in your ATO container as needed or get a kalk stirrer etc...

If you are using a salt mix that runs lower than the alkalinity levels maintained in your tank you can certainly pre-dose that with NaCO3 to achieve the levels in your tank prior to doing water changes.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back