Predator Fish for Vermetid Snail infestation

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of vermetid snails and would like to get a predator fish that will mow them all down.

Please give me suggestions ......will a trigger or puffer fish eat them??

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures of the pests.
IMAG3651.jpg

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jesus you have a lot, if you don't have any inverts or clams i'd get a seagrass wrasse, They actively prey on most invertebrates and aren't considered invert safe.

You could also go with the Emerald Crab method and buy like 5 or so cause ya gonna need a lot of crabs for that!

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jesus you have a lot, if you don't have any inverts or clams i'd get a seagrass wrasse, They actively prey on most invertebrates and aren't considered invert safe.

You could also go with the Emerald Crab method and buy like 5 or so cause ya gonna need a lot of crabs for that!
I will most likely try the sea grass wrasse, but I will need to invest in a screen top if they are jumpers like most wrasse are

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone who's green spotted puffer fish has eaten all the vermetid snails in their tank that it could reach. Might also eat any crustacean it can get is mouth around. Worth a try if you are at wits end.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah..an update would be great as I would like to know if the Emerald Crab method really works....Mine are not as bad as pictured but I can see it getting there without intervention....

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have good experience with emerald crabs eating hermetic snails?

Thanks!!

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, maybe I just don't have enough emerald crabs in my tank! Was worried they would end up competing for food but I only have 2 in a 300 gallon reef. Better get more! I have a friend that added a few bumble bee snails in his 40 cube and saw immediate results... and visual evidence that the reduction in vermetids was caused by the snails. I believe bumble bee snails are predatory though so keep an eye on them and your other snails.

@italquam you could certainly try to manually crush those shells or use a chisel to guage them out. I've done that for the large vermetids. I also cut them up using bone cutters (the fish do eat them afterward). Forceps would not work on those large guys... the shells are way too thick.

I've got a 40 gallon lagoon in the system housing a humu trigger. Really can't tell if he eats any vermetids in there but I don't see new ones popping up. That said, I'm sure there are toothy predators that WILL eat them. Probably just need some luck to get the right species AND the right individual of that species. As always, keep the community updated on any progress!!!!

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on any of these methods? My vermetids are growing in numbers. I have emeralds and bumblebees. Not seeing a difference.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needled nose pliers of various sizes and shapes are great for V's. If you have a ton, you will make a dent very quickly - do the easy ones first, then start to go for the hard to reach ones. Don't feel overwhelmed by numbers, just get cracking...it goes faster than you think it will.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on any of these methods? My vermetids are growing in numbers. I have emeralds and bumblebees. Not seeing a difference.
Only my big male emerald crab eats vermetids; the female eats bubble algae, not sure if that’s just my crabs so take it fwiw lol.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back