Preferred Salt

ReefKeeper09

Clownfish Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, let me introduce myself as its been a little while since I've been on here. My name is Kyle, AKA Reefkeeper09. I'm not exactly "New" to reef keeping or Saltwater in general, its just been a year or so since I've had a tank now. My wife & I have finally gotten finances caught back up & can now afford to get back into the hobby. I've been in the hobby since I was 9 years old(28yrs old now). I love this hobby more than any others I've ever tried. As we all know, this hobby is ever changing. As my title mentions, I am curious what salts people are using today? I have purchased an Innovative Marine Abyss Peninsula(20G drop off tank). It will be 1 of many as I am sure.

Anyway, I'd like to hear a bit from you all on your preferred salt & why? Maybe too if you could include some pictures of your display so that I can get some ideas for my own. I greatly look forward to hearing back from you all & always appreciate any feedback.

On a side note, this tank will be LPS only as they are my favorite personally.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper09

ReefKeeper09

Clownfish Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Guys! I really appreciate the fast replies.

Reef Crystals & Instant Ocean, I'm glad to hear they are still active & keeping in the game. LOL. I have used both of them myself, just wasn't sure if they were acceptable still for today's standards. lol

OP
OP
ReefKeeper09

ReefKeeper09

Clownfish Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On an additional note, can someone recommend an ammonia product they use to dose & get a cycle started. I'm not a fan of the shrimp method & definitely not a fan of a live fish cycling. . .

Sorry to pile on so much in a single thread. I just don't wanna clutter the forum up with a ton of the same questions.

Coralreefjunkies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was using tropicmarin. then went with Catina natural ocean water, then Fritz, and now Aquaforest probiotic

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On an additional note, can someone recommend an ammonia product they use to dose & get a cycle started. I'm not a fan of the shrimp method & definitely not a fan of a live fish cycling. . .

Sorry to pile on so much in a single thread. I just don't wanna clutter the forum up with a ton of the same questions.
I used the Ace Hardware store brand, it is pure ammonia with no additives. You will have a ton left over though, LOL.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper09

ReefKeeper09

Clownfish Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[emoji106]I wasn't sure if there was a catch to using one from home depot or something. Great info!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, let me introduce myself as its been a little while since I've been on here. My name is Kyle, AKA Reefkeeper09. I'm not exactly "New" to reef keeping or Saltwater in general, its just been a year or so since I've had a tank now. My wife & I have finally gotten finances caught back up & can now afford to get back into the hobby. I've been in the hobby since I was 9 years old(28yrs old now). I love this hobby more than any others I've ever tried. As we all know, this hobby is ever changing. As my title mentions, I am curious what salts people are using today? I have purchased an Innovative Marine Abyss Peninsula(20G drop off tank). It will be 1 of many as I am sure.

Anyway, I'd like to hear a bit from you all on your preferred salt & why? Maybe too if you could include some pictures of your display so that I can get some ideas for my own. I greatly look forward to hearing back from you all & always appreciate any feedback.

On a side note, this tank will be LPS only as they are my favorite personally.

Red Sea Coral Pro. No need to use additives. Regular water changes supply all the minerals needed for both fish and corals. Easy peasy.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Ace Hardware store brand, it is pure ammonia with no additives. You will have a ton left over though, LOL.
+ 1 on the Ace Hardware Janitorial Strength Ammonia. Cycled 3 new tanks with this so far. Works.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals here! Here's a picture of my 55 gallon reef tank. Almost 2 years old. This is the first saltwater tank I've ever had. Love this hobby!!! [emoji7]
59b700f2beacdf552a4cd7aeac5d3a28.jpg

Back