Preferred Sand Grain Size?

IndyReef78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Is there any up/downside to a particular grain-size for sand in a mixed reef tank? Any particular brand? Better to purchase dry or live?

We’ve always used the live ultra-fine particle sand, but I have been wondering if a coarser grain has any benefits? We have a couple of conchs that burrow and one wrasse, but although it sleeps on the sand, does not ever seem to burrow that I’ve noticed.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer not to go any smaller than Caribsea's Fiji Pink but no larger than their Florida Crushed Coral.

I find that too small and it blows around too easily in the flow but too large allows excess detritus build up.

My wife believes the perfect ratio is 70% Fiji Pink and 30% Reef Grade mixed.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer special grade. Fiji pink blows around way to much in a mixed reef/sps tank. Never get Oolite unless it’s a shark/ray tank, it’s not an aragonite sand, no beneficial bacteria, no buffering capability, no benefits.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go large size agronite. Sand is more pretty but I’m sps with big flow . So the large size doesn’t blow around. As far as ditritis I just vacuum it during water changes and it last’s for years and years .

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer special grade. Fiji pink blows around way to much in a mixed reef/sps tank. Never get Oolite unless it’s a shark/ray tank, it’s not an aragonite sand, no beneficial bacteria, no buffering capability, no benefits.
Do you have a source for this? There sure are a lot of vendors selling things called oolitic aragonite sand. If it's not aragonite, what is it? How would it not host bacteria, it would have the most surface area per pound (though, presumably oxygenation drops faster than larger grains).
"no benefits" is a very bold claim that should be backed with sources

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a source for this? There sure are a lot of vendors selling things called oolitic aragonite sand. If it's not aragonite, what is it? How would it not host bacteria, it would have the most surface area per pound (though, presumably oxygenation drops faster than larger grains).
"no benefits" is a very bold claim that should be backed with sources
The bacteria can only colonize on the exterior, not the interior which is porous in true aragonite.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my sand form a beach in Huntington Beach and the price was awesome.;) A grain of this sand is large enough to stay in place with a lot of water movement.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the ultra fine bc it looks awesome. But with the currents in a reef tank, I quickly learned it was a terrible idea. My water always looked cloudy bc it was always a sandstorm. My sum was full of sand, filter socks always clogged with sand and found sand in all my reactors. I slowly removed and added tropic eden reef flakes. Best move ever. It looks amazing. And it doesnt blow all over.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back