Pregnant seahorse

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a pregnant seahorse and he looks like he’s giving birth and pushing but nothing is coming out his belly looks a little smaller too..what’s happening?? Water parameters are normal everything is normal

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also about 2 hours ago he gave birth to one seahorse but that’s it no more came out and he looks like he’s pushing about every 5 to 7 minutes
All normal it’s a process and before you know it you’ll see a cloud of babies and his belly will look like a flat tire for day or two
What kind of seahorse is it,, if it’s a H. Erectus hell have couple hundred babies
Blow up this pic and see what I’m talking about
And I feel your pony will be fine

FCB2ACB2-98B6-4364-BD3A-C456C7F7E110.jpeg 35018842-93C7-4E8C-A1B4-E19CCEADBF0E.jpeg

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All normal it’s a process and before you know it you’ll see a cloud of babies and his belly will look like a flat tire for day or two
What kind of seahorse is it,, if it’s a H. Erectus hell have couple hundred babies

FCB2ACB2-98B6-4364-BD3A-C456C7F7E110.jpeg 35018842-93C7-4E8C-A1B4-E19CCEADBF0E.jpeg
So everything is completely normal how long after they start doing that do the babies come he’s been doing this for a while I’m just worried that something happened especially because his belly looks smaller it’s a dwarf seahorse

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much exp with dwarfs hit up @viangel she has tons of experience with dwarfs but I’m guessing Mother Nature will take care of it I’ve seen in my own ponies it take a day n half

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,breath in breath out,perfectly normal ,contractions,pre birth,is this your first brood?? turn off lights,do you have pics,preferabally a video??

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
whats happening with him rt now,same,?sometimes pre birth few babies, could be up to two days before full brood,but sounds like contractions may be soon,can you post pics or video?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you have food prepared for them? live rotifers,live baby brine?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much exp with dwarfs hit up @viangel she has tons of experience with dwarfs but I’m guessing Mother Nature will take care of it I’ve seen in my own ponies it take a day n half
Actually I kept H erectus seahorses myself. I did get 1 dwarf seahorse in a shipment of ghost shrimp which I kept for a month or so before re-homing it. If your male seahorse is young it may not have many fry but they can do that pumping action a long time. Sometimes they even do that when they are not pregnant.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paulie, the ones on the right look like adults. What did you feed them? :cool:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry to hear this,most likely was brood bound,dwarfs have a shorter life span than the erectus,do you know how old was??again sorry to hear,how many others in tank with? no problems with them?

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother I’m feeling for ya I know how your feeling, loosing a pony always sucks ,, they are such awesome creatures that always make me happy and smile I call em my babies. I myself have been going thru bad streak for 2 weeks I lost a total of 6 ponies due to my cleaner shrimps picking at them What it is is that they just got to big and pinched to hard,, they External skeleton and when they get hurt or scratches they become very effected by bacteria and whatever parasites your tank has they are very delicate creatures plus weak to begin with
So don’t beat yourself up as I can tell by your post that you love ur seahorses (as you should) and we’re very concerned about him
Pick your head up and take care of the rest of your seahorses. It’s not your falt

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother I’m feeling for ya I know how your feeling, loosing a pony always sucks ,, they are such awesome creatures that always make me happy and smile I call em my babies. I myself have been going thru bad streak for 2 weeks I lost a total of 6 ponies due to my cleaner shrimps picking at them What it is is that they just got to big and pinched to hard,, they External skeleton and when they get hurt or scratches they become very effected by bacteria and whatever parasites your tank has they are very delicate creatures plus weak to begin with
So don’t beat yourself up as I can tell by your post that you love ur seahorses (as you should) and we’re very concerned about him
Pick your head up and take care of the rest of your seahorses. It’s not your falt

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I needed that I’m going through a really bad time I have another 55 gallon with 7 fish and they all died today also and I have no idea why. Everything was fine I’m devastated and feel so guilty. The fact that I had to watch them die gasping for air and there was nothing else I could do is gonna haunt me for the rest of my life. I felt so helpless and they were suffering and I couldn’t do anything. I’m beating myself up really bad and yah j get they’re just fishbut they were my fish..they meant something to me and I’m taking it pretty hard..

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back