Premature Bamboo shark pup care

DeltaLifeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a bamboo shark egg growing in my tank now for 14 weeks. My LFS had it for around 2-3 weeks before I bought it. It looked like a little worm at first. I have candled it once a week since I got it and I could no longer see any yolk sac as of a week and a half ago. I decided to take action and snipped the end corners of the egg where they come out of and the shark darted right out. Unfortunately he still has a small bubble of the yolk sac and cord hanging out, it looks empty it's just kinda clear, which is why I couldn't see it anymore I guess. I have him inside of a smooth plastic pet carrier container people use to get mice and stuff from the pet store. It looks fully developed and acting normal otherwise. Does anyone have any advice? I'm kicking myself in the tail right now, I'm so disappointed. Everything I have read suggested assisting a week or so after you cant see the yolk sac any more. I candled it well on both sides as many angles I could to see but I couldn't see a thing except for the shark curled all the way around the egg . Thanks in advance for any help and open to any criticism. It's all good.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a bamboo shark egg growing in my tank now for 14 weeks. My LFS had it for around 2-3 weeks before I bought it. It looked like a little worm at first. I have candled it once a week since I got it and I could no longer see any yolk sac as of a week and a half ago. I decided to take action and snipped the end corners of the egg where they come out of and the shark darted right out. Unfortunately he still has a small bubble of the yolk sac and cord hanging out, it looks empty it's just kinda clear, which is why I couldn't see it anymore I guess. I have him inside of a smooth plastic pet carrier container people use to get mice and stuff from the pet store. It looks fully developed and acting normal otherwise. Does anyone have any advice? I'm kicking myself in the tail right now, I'm so disappointed. Everything I have read suggested assisting a week or so after you cant see the yolk sac any more. I candled it well on both sides as many angles I could to see but I couldn't see a thing except for the shark curled all the way around the egg . Thanks in advance for any help and open to any criticism. It's all good.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It is very likely the shark will be fine, as long as the pet carrier doesn't have any sharp edges, but also has holes in it to allow for good water flow. Many public aquariums have shark egg exhibits where they cut open a window in the egg, and the sharks develop normally.

The trick is going to be when to start feeding it. It may not feed for a few weeks to a month. Try live guppies on the end of a broomstraw.

Jay

OP
OP
DeltaLifeReefer

DeltaLifeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It is very likely the shark will be fine, as long as the pet carrier doesn't have any sharp edges, but also has holes in it to allow for good water flow. Many public aquariums have shark egg exhibits where they cut open a window in the egg, and the sharks develop normally.

The trick is going to be when to start feeding it. It may not feed for a few weeks to a month. Try live guppies on the end of a broomstraw.

Jay
Thanks for the encouraging words. It seems like the sac has reduced some today. It's about the size of a skittle today. It seems to be fine other than the yolk sac hanging out.

OP
OP
DeltaLifeReefer

DeltaLifeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
Just an update. Yolk sac has almost been fully absorbed. Shark seems fine. I could tell this morning when I checked on it that the yolk sac and cord attached have greatly reduced in size. If it keep up at that pace it should be completely gone by tomorrow or the next day.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back