premature death of the versa roller?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,

i was wondering how long (life-wise) the rollers on these Versa is rated for during continuous feeding of the calcium reactor.

i have two of the 4 versa pumps feeding my calcium reactor (because i can't stand the noise/humming at 42mL/min if i were to use 1 versa). These two versa pumps have been running the calcium reactor for 3-4months and today my parameters are unusually low and lo and behold the rollers are out of shape. the other two versas that i use for amino acid dosing have no such issue.

i find it unacceptable that these need to be replaced after only 3-4 months of usage.

103683403_1739471202862714_578410306031694791_n.jpg

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
entire assembly
Those look like crimp fittings holding the hose on. If they are, they can be removed with the crimp tool (or screwdriver, or other tool). Sometimes they can be reused. If you can buy the hose then you could save some money.
I know it does not solve the problem of the part wearing out fast, but it may give you another option when they do wear out.

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like crimp fittings holding the hose on. If they are, they can be removed with the crimp tool (or screwdriver, or other tool). Sometimes they can be reused. If you can buy the hose then you could save some money.
I know it does not solve the problem of the part wearing out fast, but it may give you another option when they do wear out.

i'm an EE by trade so crimping is second nature. but the crimping tool/connector required here is not something i already own. furthermore, i need to source an adequate tubing....nope, just nope.

i still appreciate the consideration though.

Zachbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s under warranty still so they’ll send You free. I ordered because I couldn’t wait and awaited for the extras from EcoTech few days later

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused. You say rollers but are showing the peri tubing. Deformation of the tubing is inevitable .... happens with any peristaltic pump. Doesn’t mean tubing isn’t still ok. Curious why it’s yellowed so much though. I have wondered what the expected useful life is of that tubing. I replace the pharmed tubing on my MasterFlex about every six months. Seems kind of obvious to me, but continuous use is going to degrade the pump more quickly that the periodic dosing of things like trace elements or aminos.

It is quite annoying that these peri pump makers make it so difficult to economically replace just the tubing rather than getting soaked for the entire assembly. Took me ages to work out the right replacement tube for my DOS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused. You say rollers but are showing the peri tubing. Deformation of the tubing is inevitable .... happens with any peristaltic pump. Doesn’t mean tubing isn’t still ok. Curious why it’s yellowed so much though. I have wondered what the expected useful life is of that tubing. I replace the pharmed tubing on my MasterFlex about every six months. Seems kind of obvious to me, but continuous use is going to degrade the pump more quickly that the periodic dosing of things like trace elements or aminos.

It is quite annoying that these peri pump makers make it so difficult to ecomonically replace just the tubing rather than getting soaked for the entire assembly. Took me ages to work out the right replacement tube for my DOS.
I realized my mistake in the title but was unable to edit it.
it should say tubing.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had to replace the tubing assembly

image.jpg

Yes, that is what I meant by entire unit...the hose and the plastic you have pictured. It would seem more practical (and less plastic waste) if it was designed to just replace the tubing.

Zachbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is what I meant by entire unit...the hose and the plastic you have pictured. It would seem more practical (and less plastic waste) if it was designed to just replace the tubing.
I agree! But hey...thats what keeps u needing to come back

Tim at EcoTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pushing water into or pulling through the reactor? Did you check calibration prior to replacing? It's also possible the tubing was being pushed up over the roller resulting in inaccuracy. It's possible the tubing still was useful and something else was going on.

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pushing water into or pulling through the reactor? Did you check calibration prior to replacing? It's also possible the tubing was being pushed up over the roller resulting in inaccuracy. It's possible the tubing still was useful and something else was going on.

hi Tim,

pushing water.

i cannot check calibration because the water was not being sucked into the tubing by the roller. please see video. in the beginning of the video, you can see the air inside the blue input RODI line.

apology for the muffling sound/bad video.

Zachbud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull through My reactor.The replacement tube works better than when I started.

Hey @Tim at EcoTech , do you suggest calibration before the reactor or calibrate pump with my effluent. Not sure if it should be the same or matters.

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi Tim,

pushing water.

i cannot check calibration because the water was not being sucked into the tubing by the roller. please see video. in the beginning of the video, you can see the air inside the blue input RODI line.

apology for the muffling sound/bad video.

Did you figure out how to fix it? Was it a connection issue? Was it the tube going over the rollers? Did you get one of the early releases that had these problems? Did a replacement tube fix it?

I'm thinking about buying a versa, but all these issues are kind of holding me back.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you figure out how to fix it? Was it a connection issue? Was it the tube going over the rollers? Did you get one of the early releases that had these problems? Did a replacement tube fix it?

I'm thinking about buying a versa, but all these issues are kind of holding me back.
I can't speak for OP, but it was 1 of 2 things or a combination of both. 1: the much known problem with the push to connect fittings not sealing properly which Ecotech has fixed. 2: is that some tubes had a tenancy of rolling over forward [towards the plastic cover] and not properly being pinched by the rollers. that has also been addressed and fixed, with a retainer ring.

dsAf0rXl.jpg

fbzJoVVl.jpg

Either way, all the problems have been addressed and fixed. You wont regret getting these pumps.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing the tubing is required on a regular basis, regardless of brand of peristaltic pump. It’s not a warranty replacement item. Kamoer recommends 2000 hours for theirs, which is four times a year.

OP
OP
dragonfisher33

dragonfisher33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I fixed it by replacing the entire tubing assembly. My very first one had leaking issue and my replacement 4-pack, one of them leaked.
I would not recommend it for calcium reactor feed despite the claim by ETM.

i didn’t have issue with kamoer, no tubing replacement for a year, and still fine

Brisco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fixed it by replacing the entire tubing assembly. My very first one had leaking issue and my replacement 4-pack, one of them leaked.
I would not recommend it for calcium reactor feed despite the claim by ETM.

i didn’t have issue with kamoer, no tubing replacement for a year, and still fine
oops maybe I should look at my kamoer.....5 years of dosing ca, alk and mg. Haven't done a thing to it!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back