Prepare back of tank for coraline algae?

Meangrumpy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, new reefer here, so this may seem like a silly question. Will coraline algae grow over other algae? The reason I ask is I eventually want the coraline algae to grow on the back of my tank. Just today, I noticed some small purple spots on my powerhead, so I know the coraline agae is starting to form. I see none on the back of my tank. I do have algae/pods/other "crud" growing on the back of the tank. I've been leaving it there as some of my fish pick at it and figured it would somehow assist with the coraline growth.

Is the algae/film currently on the back of my tank getting in the way of coraline growing? If so, I have no problem cleaning it off to make way. Or is this nothing to worry about and just a matter of waiting for the coraline to get fully ramped up.

Thanks in advance.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just don't clean the areas you want it to grow. Eventually it will. There's nothing other than offering light and proper calcium - alk - mag . Basically it's like caring for lps corals.

Use a soft pad to wipe off the unwanted algae so you don't scrape off coraline growth

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, new reefer here, so this may seem like a silly question. Will coraline algae grow over other algae? The reason I ask is I eventually want the coraline algae to grow on the back of my tank. Just today, I noticed some small purple spots on my powerhead, so I know the coraline agae is starting to form. I see none on the back of my tank. I do have algae/pods/other "crud" growing on the back of the tank. I've been leaving it there as some of my fish pick at it and figured it would somehow assist with the coraline growth.

Is the algae/film currently on the back of my tank getting in the way of coraline growing? If so, I have no problem cleaning it off to make way. Or is this nothing to worry about and just a matter of waiting for the coraline to get fully ramped up.

Thanks in advance.

Slime algae certainly can prevent or kill coralline algae by covering it.
Coraline can over grow some algae's, For example I have seen it grow on bubble algae.
Coralline algae can also help prevent other algae's from growing by taking up space.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back