Preparing New Tank for Corals

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, so I know that I've messed up, but I have a new tank coming to the end of it's cycle and I have been trying to think about how to stock it cost effectively. I don't have a LFS nearby so buying one fish or one coral is prohibitively expensive when you factor in mail order costs.

So my plan was to add a couple of corals to the display, wait a month or so and then put a fish in a QT. By the time the fish came out of quarantine then the corals will have been in the tank for the 76 day fallow period,

Then came the WWC sale!! I wasn't going to buy anything, as I'm not 100% ready, but then noticed that their first available delivery date was 4th March so thought that would give me enough time to prepare. I decided to take advantage of their sale and get a couple of frags to start me off. Unfortunately, after a day watching their sale and getting over-excited, I ended up with more frags than I should have done :oops:.

That damage has now been done and can't be undone and I am into damage limitation. Is there anything I can do to help minimise casualties when they arrive? Is it worth adding anything to the tank (any specific additives or pods/phyto etc) now, to try to get some life into it?

The frags aren't high end but I'd still like to try to do my best for them. I have GSP, star polyps, a couple of zoas, a Florida Ricordea and a Candy Cane on the way.

Thanks,

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely smart choices for some hardier corals. Your biggest risk at this point will be parameter swings so I’d be very diligent on testing and possibly have 2-part or mixed saltwater on hand. I swear by live phyto for overall health of the tank. Pods are also good, big part of the food chain and can help mature your tank. But in all reality there’s no quick way to mature, except live rock it definitely gets you a big jumpstart. I’m sure some good bottle bac can help give everything a boost too. I can totally feel you on the buying too many corals. I bought 22 corals at a live sale after my tank had only been cycled for like 1.5 months:eek:

mclovings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up on shipping. I don’t live in an area affected by poor weather. But my $500 order of corals from a reputable supplier has been sitting at an airport for 5 days now. They are all certainly dead. FedEx is having major issues right now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back