Preparing to move

arcticbread

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So I have a dilemma and I'm not quite sure how to go about this. I am currently living in an apartment with my 37 gallon aquarium with a few fish in it. I have live rocks and sand too. In August I will be moving into a different apartment and I'm not sure what is the smartest way to move them. On July 31st i need to be fully moved out of my current apartment and I get my keys for the new apartment on August 1st. What do you all recommend for this situation? I would take them home to my parents, but I live 2 hours away from my college and it's not very doable to be going back and forth so much.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved tanks multiple times. It sounds like its close by. Get some buckets put the fish and a airstone in one. Rock and water in another, and if you have sand, put it in a third bucket with just enough water to submerge the sand.

I had a 3 day move and everything survived just fine. If it's going to be longer than 12 hours then you will need to replace the water in the fish bucket to prevent ammonia poisoning. Just keep an extra bucket of fresh salt water to transfer the fish to.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Using clean buckets, coral in one or two buckets and fish in another .
Salvage some water into another bucket or two and move everything in new place and add water and new remaining water. Acclimate fish and coral to tank as if you just purchased them and monitor tank

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved 6 hours away. Used coolers to hold everything and towels slightly warmer in dryer to prewarm the coolers. I used the Coleman marine coolers as they were cheap.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice, also pls make sure there is a heater in the container with fish.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get your current water, RO system, LFS, treated tap water?

Don't underestimate the value of having additional 5-gal buckets of fresh saltwater made from your CURRENT water source. If possible, have at least 50% of the tank capacity readily available in fresh saltwater from your current water source. That gives you an immediately available 50% water change.

You don't have to heat all the reserve water buckets either. Microwaves are quick and easy to setup in a new residence. Just keep the reserve buckets at room temp and then microwave (warm, don't boil) small portions to mix back in, thereby rapidly increasing the bucket temp to 78F.

I find one of these a well-spent $30 (at Harbor Freight) when it comes to rapidly moving tanks.
1609174316373.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back