Prepping for quarantine tank

hoco86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi brand new- will have a 125 gallon reef tank and am trying to figure out my qt set up. I understand the theory of keeping a sponge in my sump of my display tank for bacteria seeding in the future qt tanks (if I break down in between uses). However I will just be starting and cycling my display tank and I want to quarantine my first fish. I will have live rock and sand, biospira in the dt...so as far as cycling the qt tank-which will be barebottom w pvc pipe, sponge filter, air pump, heater and light...should I just take water from my display tank after its cycled, and add it to qt (thinking 10-20 gal qt) then put my fish in?? Can't seem to find any guidance other than using sponge from display tank. Thanks!

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi brand new- will have a 125 gallon reef tank and am trying to figure out my qt set up. I understand the theory of keeping a sponge in my sump of my display tank for bacteria seeding in the future qt tanks (if I break down in between uses). However I will just be starting and cycling my display tank and I want to quarantine my first fish. I will have live rock and sand, biospira in the dt...so as far as cycling the qt tank-which will be barebottom w pvc pipe, sponge filter, air pump, heater and light...should I just take water from my display tank after its cycled, and add it to qt (thinking 10-20 gal qt) then put my fish in?? Can't seem to find any guidance other than using sponge from display tank. Thanks!
In my QTs I use a hang on back filter with the carbon removed from the cartridge (I always use copper which is absorbed by carbon) and I use a bottle of biospira and let it sit a day or 2 for the bacteria to settle in the filter media. Then it’s pretty much good to go. I like the hang on back because it’s easy to modify depending on what you want. Good luck! Welcome to R2R!

Edit: I got my 20g long for less than $20 online at petco during one of their sales. It’s a great size for a qt setup

Back