Pretty Gear? How important is it for you to have your equipment "look good?"

How important is it for you to have your equipment "look good?"

• I'm OCD about it! I want it looking perfect!

Votes: 74 15.1%
  • I like it to be neat but don't obsess over it.

Votes: 338 69.1%
  • I couldn't care less about what it looks like.

Votes: 69 14.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.6%

• Total voters

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting kind of envious of some people amazing wire managment and good looking sumps. however, I have to get back to earth and realize that its not important, I want to show off my display tank not my good looking life support.

Old System: Good looking but to service it was impossible! I would've not worried so much about hiding cords and just wrapped them in something easy to remove. I did nail the safety part which was top priority having all cords and electric outside of stand.

8192.jpeg
8193.jpeg

Current System: Focus is safety and maintenance second. My sump is NOT attractive and I dont want it to be. I can easily clean the sump, skimmer, and return pump. I can easily add items and have a electric panel on opposite site of panel that is also support for the tank.
20220513_203648.jpg

20220513_203706.jpg

Last edited:

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really need my mom to help me set up my equipment if I ever hope to have it OCD neat. Mine is OCD cluttered, that is I get OCD about keeping the animals alive and don't try too hard to order the equipment, or color match the nets with the frag glue. I like when others do it, but that is not in my skill set.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the least bit concerned. I enjoy growing coral. Most the time i dont even have a real display just frag tanks. I still appreciate an amazing looking perfect setup, but not enough that i am willing to put the time/money/effort required to do anything more than what is needed to function the way I intend.

As a side not I am very OCD about the difference in the phrase "could care less" that is so commonly used to mean "could not care less". It drives me nuts ;)

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call this good enough for me lol.

Somewhat nice under the stand (fuge light has been changed since pic) and no wires seen for what is out of the stand.

Biggest concern is all of the critters in my tank are cared for and thriving. With a fully mixed, and I mean mixed reef, that is enough of a task lol.

Stand with panels removed.
IMG_7684 2.jpg

Stand with panels on and view of shelf that hold the lights and some other stuff the wife wanted up there.
IMG_7712 2.jpg

FTS of just the DT.
IMG_7806.jpg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side not I am very OCD about the difference in the phrase "could care less" that is so commonly used to mean "could not care less". It drives me nuts ;)
Thanks for the hot tip. I voted could care less in your honor! :)

horseloverfats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't care here. Display is tidy. Everything else is in my unfinished basement and it is scary to look at. Clip on lights hanging over the water, wires everywhere, etc. Nice thing is it doesn't bother me and I have no reefing buddies and we don't entertain so no one sees the mess but me and my Gal.

This is how I roll :zany-face:
20220719_112800.jpg
20220719_112705.jpg
I envy you all with a basement.

mattshell81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank upstairs has a light and 2 gyres that are fairly easy to make look nice and neat. The basement sump hides all lol. It’s complete chaos down there but my basement is so short that no one else would ever be down there to see it so it doesn’t bother me as much.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like it to all look tidy and professional but right now, it's a disaster area under my tank. Any time I need to remove equipment for maintenance it's a battle of spaghetti wires.

DIY is not my thing, but I've decided to order some 3D printed brackets for my various controllers so that I get them all properly mounted to a board without resorting to Velcro. I have a bag of zip ties and cable clips to get the wires organized. It won't look like some of the masterpieces posted here but I hope to at least make it all safer and easier to work around.

Back