Pretty sure I've managed to get Ich or Velvet into my DT...

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... Not even sure what to do at this point.

When I first started reefing, I used to just buy fish at the LFS or off the web, acclimate them and add them. If I was worried about aggression or 'stress related parasites' (yes, I had LFS telling me all fish had Ich...) I would put them in an acclimation box... I would buy cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasses thinking I was effectively treating disease. Needless to say, within 6 months I ended up with a velvet outbreak and lost 40-50% of my fish. I spent three days catching my survivors, bought a petco 40b and a cannister filter. Managed to kill another 20-30% of the fish with an ammonia spike. Went fallow for 72 days and saved 7-8 fish.

After that I started religiously quarantining my new additions. Everything would get treated with Prazi and CP. Then I figured out that CP kills fairy and flasher wrasses and hippo tangs... Tried copper on a few fish, never had one survive. My QT survival rates were an abysmal 50% or so.

Major things I changed:
1. Stopped buying fish from my local fish stores... Got sick of seeing them mix new wild fish with healthy fish, got sick of seeing dead fish in the bottoms of the tanks, knowing that they were all plumbed into the same sump. Started having my buddy get me fish directly from wholesale (don't worry, he marks them up) and ordering from LiveAquaria.
2. Stopped prophylactic medications except for Prazi or General Cure. Only used CP, Copper or Antibiotics on fish with actual symptoms.

I got to a point where if the fish made it through 4 weeks of QT with no signs of disease and two rounds of fluke treatment, it was good to go. Sure I still lost some in QT, but success rates improved and I made it about 2 years without any diseases in my display tank. At it's peak, I had about 40 fish in it (overcrowded to say the least).

Fast forward to today... Decided to break that tank down and start over (sold some fish, gave some away, had a few die in holding while rebooting). I've added about 4 smaller fish to my DT (total population of 11, 1 tang, 4 pj cardinals, 4 wrasses and 2 anthias) in the past month, all of which seemed good in QT and somehow a parasite has snuck in.

Initially I thought it was flukes. Had a few fish flashing, no hiding, eating well, no visible issues. I decided to treat my display with Prazi, since it would be a lot easier than trying to catch 11 fish in a heavily scaped (100lbs or Stax rock, much of which is cemented together) tank that would be dang near impossible to dismantle.

First round went well, no signs of issues following that. Did a second round yesterday, fish all seemed fine, wrasses did okay... tonight I noticed a couple of them still flashing very occasionally.

Took a closer look at my Desjardini Tang and noticed a ton of tiny little spots/raises bumps... Panic set in... Catching all these fish will be almost impossible AND I don't have an available hospital tank that could hold them.

Really not sure what it is at this point. My gut says Ich or Velvet, as I don't think flukes would have poxed up my tang like that... Everyone seems to be eating, not noticing any powerhead swimming (but hard to be sure, as I have a ton of flow setup for SPS)... It's been about 7 days since I first noticed flashing... I think if it were Velvet I'd have some seriously sick or dead fish by now... right??

Tried to get some pictures of the tang but can't get any clear enough to really see what it is. No dusty looking or slimy looking fish...

Would flukes leave tiny bite marks on a tang? I am hoping it's flukes and I can just do another round of prazi, if not at least Ich so I am not doing salvage mode all weekend. I suppose I will know tomorrow if I have a dead fish... Any suggestions for a temp holding tank in case I do have to go fallow? Maybe a rubbermaid with my cannister filter, some sump rocks, a heater and a couple powerheads??

Really kicking myself for letting something slip by... all this a week after having to do a full blackout for a dino outbreak.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1026.JPG

Best pic I could get and really hard to see...

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I also put my corals in a qt for 4 weeks because I'm afraid of this as well.

I know blackout doesn't really help dino. Get your nitrates to 4 and your phosphate to 0.03

If your still battling them dose with metro.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I also put my corals in a qt for 4 weeks because I'm afraid of this as well.

I know blackout doesn't really help dino. Get your nitrates to 4 and your phosphate to 0.03

If your still battling them dose with metro.

Yeah, dino seems to be coming back. I wouldn’t be surprised is the Prazipro encouraged some additional bacterial issues. Last I check my PO was about 0.02 but my NO was almost 0...

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about your losses/predicament. Hmm I'm afraid a lack of prophylactic treatment with copper or CP led to ich or velvet sneaking through. This can happen even without fish showing any symptoms. The parasite can then wreak full blown havoc during a stressor such as power outage, tank move/breakdown/etc. Your picture may be a severe infestation of ich, although velvet cannot be ruled out. In these uncertain situations I like to combine acute treatment for velvet (link below) with a fallow period for ich (76 days). Honestly, flukes can look like anything, but this appearance would be unusual. Part of the acute treatment for velvet involves a freshwater dip, so if flukes are a possibility you can see if any drop off during the dip, though again I feel this is less likely.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

Best of luck!

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your N has to be higher than PO thats why you get dino.
Dinos are Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria.

Dose NO until you hit 4.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked the fish out this morning, a few haven't come out of hiding yet, but he ones I could see look fine, including the tang. I'm pretty sure it's not Velvet, but I guess I will be able to tell later today when the lights are all on and my fish are all out. Unless they've got some freakish immune systems, I would expect at least one really sick fish or a casualty by now with Velvet. It's been almost two weeks since the last addition was made.

If I'm right and it's Ich, I think I have a little more time to prepare and treat. Not loving the idea of treating with Copper, but about half my fish are CP intolerant and I don't think I have the available tanks to do TTM on 11 fish at once. I have 3x 10g aqueon petco specials, one of which is occupied with a Golden Rhomboid wrasse being treat for (aka slowly dying from) what seems to be a swim bladder infection.

If the flashing has stopped, the tang isn't looking bit up, I may bide my time and observe closely. If any of them are showing new symptoms:
1. FW Dip
2. Acriflavin bath
3. QT
4. Slowly ramp Chelated Copper up over the course of a week (just ordered the Hanna Copper Checker)

Here's hoping I can catch them all without having to dismantle my aquascape...

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s just ich, I would get your copper level up to therapeutic within 72 hrs. If velvet, you only have 48 hrs before reinfection begins to occur.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-copper-window.294484/
Yeah, I am really crossing my fingers it's not Velvet. I've had Velvet in my DT before and a few times in QT, and seen how fast it acts. I have about 4 wrasses (some on the higher end Lineatus and Flame) that I am not really comfortable treating with Copper unless I know I have to. So far the fish are looking way too healthy for me to be sure it's one or the other.

Would flukes leave tiny bite marks that could be mistaken for ich or barely visible velvet? Aside from flashing with multiple fish and the bites/bumps on my tang, I have really not seen any obvious symptoms of any of the three.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would flukes leave tiny bite marks that could be mistaken for ich or barely visible velvet? Aside from flashing with multiple fish and the bites/bumps on my tang, I have really not seen any obvious symptoms of any of the three.

Sometimes you can see skin flukes on dark colored fish (pics below). But IME they won’t leave visible bite marks.

However, many times fish with flukes will display behavioral symptoms: head twitching, yawning, scratching (targeting the gill area if gill specific flukes).

proxy.php
skinflukes1.jpg

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am pretty sure it's Ich at this point. None of the fish are looking powdery or breathing really poorly. Most are out in the open under full light. The tang has little bumps and have noticed a few white spots on a couple others. Getting my hospital tanks going, reading up on CopperSafe and will start trying to catch them tonight.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing a lot about CopperSafe having dicey numbers. I won't have the Hanna Checker until Wednesday, I was planning to do a long ramp up. Any suggestions on dosage? I've got the API and Seachem Copper Tests... Will need to double check, but I think the API works for chelated copper...

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The threads I looked at show only the CopperSafe that is made by Fritz and it having 2x.

So,
I would assume if it is made by Fritz to go up to 1/2 of the dosage and wait until Wednesday.

For the sake of it I would probably just go 1/4 and wait until Wednesday and then ramp up and do your 30.

Probably got ick on one of your frags or snails.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some pics of the fish in question? So we can take a look at them?

Copper safe at half dosage should be fine until you have your Hanna. Highest reading I've seen is 3.0ppm if dosed as instructed. That being said anything is possible, and I would still test with your API kit until you have the Hanna in hand.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The threads I looked at show only the CopperSafe that is made by Fritz and it having 2x.

So,
I would assume if it is made by Fritz to go up to 1/2 of the dosage and wait until Wednesday.

For the sake of it I would probably just go 1/4 and wait until Wednesday and then ramp up and do your 30.

Probably got ick on one of your frags or snails.
I think I probably got it from an asymptomatic carrier fish who made it through my imperfect bio-security... I stopped prophylactic medication except for prazi after having a few healthy fish die from CP or Copper.

Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some pics of the fish in question? So we can take a look at them?

Copper safe at half dosage should be fine until you have your Hanna. Highest reading I've seen is 3.0ppm if dosed as instructed. That being said anything is possible, and I would still test with your API kit until you have the Hanna in hand.

IMG_1031.JPG

Best I could get on my phone with all the blues. Tang is the only one I see anything obvious on.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1031.JPG

Best I could get on my phone with all the blues. Tang is the only one I see anything obvious on.
Looks like velvet to me. That is heavy coverage. How long have the spots been showing up for?

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed them yesterday. Aside from flashing he isn’t really exhibiting other symptoms and my last addition to this tank was at least 9 days ago...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back