Pretty sure my whole tank has ich

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vitamins in food is not a cure for ich. Just because ich is visible doesn't mean its eradicated, it means its managed which in this case I agree that vitamins will help manage ich. Any stress introduced to the tank will let ich pop up right again. Also vitamins will not increase the slime coat of the fish, it will help restore it to natural levels.
Yup, it is not eradicated. It is called "living with ich." Bottom line. Unless you have 3 to 5 tanks setup to qt inverts, corals, fish, LR, and live sand. Ya gonna have ich most likely.
Increase the slime coat is not to be picked apart. If it is low. Then any form of increase. Is an increase. Whether it gets back to the natural state or not.
No one said "vitamins is the cure."

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, it is not eradicated. It is called "living with ich." Bottom line. Unless you have 3 to 5 tanks setup to qt inverts, corals, fish, LR, and live sand. Ya gonna have ich most likely.
Increase the slime coat is not to be picked apart. If it is low. Then any form of increase. Is an increase. Whether it gets back to the natural state or not.
No one said "vitamins is the cure."
+1 Agree,
Mixed between medic and vitamins, I know that you don't claim it will cure, but you mentioned in video that LFS uses it to cure ich and on their website they claim that too thats why I had to put it out there. Although it might work, I tried kick ich which is another reef safe med that many people say won't work and it worked for me, again I can't say 100% it worked because I can't test under microscope for parasites, but fish were stressed at some point and had no outbreak.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you do anything. Try this. I have been using it for 8 days now. Did a video about it. Simple to use. NO DIE OFF, NO TANK TRANSFER, and IN A REEF TANK. Just be there for the dosing. Ich has not returned. Use VitaChem with the fish's frozen food to increase the fish's health and slime coat so the parasite can not reattach. I seen videos of people with a yellow tang covered with ich. Now completely heathy with no ich.
I did not make the product. I just followed the directions. Now I am enjoying my tank with no signs of ich!

I might try this just to give the tang some relief from the parasites. I have a Duncan and some candycane's I really don't want to lose, along with various sponges, feather dusters etc. I'm guessing you have to stay on top of the dosing in the a.m and p.m to make this effective. A big part of the problem with this hobby is you NEED to have a fish room. Unfortunately I'm stuck in a small apartment until my house is built, which setting up a hospital tank troublesome, especially with the wife.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Agree,
Mixed between medic and vitamins, I know that you don't claim it will cure, but you mentioned in video that LFS uses it to cure ich and on their website they claim that too thats why I had to put it out there. Although it might work, I tried kick ich which is another reef safe med that many people say won't work and it worked for me, again I can't say 100% it worked because I can't test under microscope for parasites, but fish were stressed at some point and had no outbreak.
All good. I am used to people picking what I use/do apart. At the end of the day. I am suggesting, not telling a person what to do, because it ain't my tank. All I can say is what it says the product does, what another has said that I trust, and I am showing the only thing I notice it does while using it.
I mean how great would this product be if it I do cure it. I left my protein skimmer running the whole time. Nobody has white spots. I did not have to tear down my whole tank and stress the heck out everyone else. Lose my aquascaping that I love. Setup a qt again, but still have ich in the DT.
I see the relief for a fish being great if it is that bad with a qt, but I always hear about the stress it causes. Trust me I am not here offend anybody with some great knowledge of the field, but no one here is a vet. Especially the inexperienced person trying to do all these meds, hypo salinity, TTM, & copper. The advice given above is a lot to take in. It works, but also at the end of the day when the owner with the issue can not do all the requirements. Which a person will have to follow through with 100% for a long time. Then they go to a frag swap or LFS and thinks "I gotta have that frag." Well it is like saying "I gotta have that ich," because you most likely just reintroduced/introduced something into your tank. Unless you qt the frag for 72 days. So I throw out the "living with ich" method. I seen a bunch of people do it. How they were perfect about qt'ing everything and they just go how did this happen?!? I now have ich!! The hippo tang was always their reason. Remind me never to get one of those :eek:

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try this just to give the tang some relief from the parasites. I have a Duncan and some candycane's I really don't want to lose, along with various sponges, feather dusters etc. I'm guessing you have to stay on top of the dosing in the a.m and p.m to make this effective. A big part of the problem with this hobby is you NEED to have a fish room. Unfortunately I'm stuck in a small apartment until my house is built, which setting up a hospital tank troublesome, especially with the wife.
It is not going to relieve the fish at all. The parasite is on the fish feeding till it hits the water column after it has had enough to eat and then it is ready to reproduce. You need to be dosing when it is in that 2nd & 4th stage for this stuff to kill it. The relief is the aftermath. It is not like copper or freshwater dipping where it relieves a fish from the issue at hand right then and there. That is why those ideas are great and do work, if you can do it.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not going to relieve the fish at all. The parasite is on the fish feeding till it hits the water column after it has had enough to eat and then it is ready to reproduce. You need to be dosing when it is in that 2nd & 4th stage for this stuff to kill it. The relief is the aftermath. It is not like copper or freshwater dipping where it relieves a fish from the issue at hand right then and there. That is why those ideas are great and do work, if you can do it.

I meant relief in terms of doing something vs watching the white spots multiply day after day. In a perfect world, I would have a QT tank, an extra room with several frag tanks, In line whole house RO/DI etc etc. But since I don't live in that world (yet), I'll have to make due. I will still set up a QT after this treatment and let my reef run fallow, I think a nice nuvo10 will work for a QT frag tank as well. Thanks for the heads up @40B Knasty I'll let you know how everything works out in this thread.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good. I am used to people picking what I use/do apart. At the end of the day. I am suggesting, not telling a person what to do, because it ain't my tank. All I can say is what it says the product does, what another has said that I trust, and I am showing the only thing I notice it does while using it.
I mean how great would this product be if it I do cure it. I left my protein skimmer running the whole time. Nobody has white spots. I did not have to tear down my whole tank and stress the heck out everyone else. Lose my aquascaping that I love. Setup a qt again, but still have ich in the DT.
I see the relief for a fish being great if it is that bad with a qt, but I always hear about the stress it causes. Trust me I am not here offend anybody with some great knowledge of the field, but no one here is a vet. Especially the inexperienced person trying to do all these meds, hypo salinity, TTM, & copper. The advice given above is a lot to take in. It works, but also at the end of the day when the owner with the issue can not do all the requirements. Which a person will have to follow through with 100% for a long time. Then they go to a frag swap or LFS and thinks "I gotta have that frag." Well it is like saying "I gotta have that ich," because you most likely just reintroduced/introduced something into your tank. Unless you qt the frag for 72 days. So I throw out the "living with ich" method. I seen a bunch of people do it. How they were perfect about qt'ing everything and they just go how did this happen?!? I now have ich!! The hippo tang was always their reason. Remind me never to get one of those :eek:

Totally true and 100% agree with you. Also regarding the dealing with ich, many people do it because it is really hard to avoid ich, you go fallow you quarantine you do everything and then you mess up one tiny step in between and BAM, ich all over the place.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you do anything. Try this. I have been using it for 8 days now. Did a video about it. Simple to use. NO DIE OFF, NO TANK TRANSFER, and IN A REEF TANK. Just be there for the dosing. Ich has not returned. Use VitaChem with the fish's frozen food to increase the fish's health and slime coat so the parasite can not reattach. I seen videos of people with a yellow tang covered with ich. Now completely heathy with no ich.
I did not make the product. I just followed the directions. Now I am enjoying my tank with no signs of ich!

Let us know how your treatment worked at the end of the 20 days.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to leave this here as a good read:
Ich eradication vs. Ich management

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Ich-eradication-vs.-Ich-management.188775/

Thanks, I've read that thread like 3 times and reviewed the arguments between @Humblefish and @Paul B with great interest. Both make well reasoned cases for their particular fish management methodologies. On one hand @Humblefish advocates creating an aquarium bubble on the other @Paul B advocates creating a "Health Petri Dish". At some point the rubber needs to hit the road for me. I'm going to try some treatments, set up quarantine, and focus on diet and H2O quality. I think I need a bigger tank... ;-)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I've read that thread like 3 times and reviewed the arguments between @Humblefish and @Paul B with great interest. Both make well reasoned cases for their particular fish management methodologies. On one hand @Humblefish advocates creating an aquarium bubble on the other @Paul B advocates creating a "Health Petri Dish". At some point the rubber needs to hit the road for me. I'm going to try some treatments, set up quarantine, and focus on diet and H2O quality. I think I need a bigger tank... ;-)

See, I read this and land firmly on eradication [emoji847] But, there is definitely more than one way to run a reef...so if it works for you, do it. If it doesn't work, make adjustments. We can only try to stay informed, and hope we know enough about what we're doing to keep the tank inhabitants healthy. It's not a forgiving hobby, even seasoned reefers suffer losses.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how your treatment worked at the end of the 20 days.
On day 17. No signs of ich still and no die off. Just the same irritated palys for about 30 minutes. Then they open up and are fine. Maxima clam is doing great. Flame angel is showing no signs. Really the only fish that I needed to worry about.
3 more days and I can finally sleep in the morning again!! I will make a video on day 20.

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On day 17. No signs of ich still and no die off. Just the same irritated palys for about 30 minutes. Then they open up and are fine. Maxima clam is doing great. Flame angel is showing no signs. Really the only fish that I needed to worry about.
3 more days and I can finally sleep in the morning again!! I will make a video on day 20.
I can't wait for the video
The product doesn't work for me

IMG_0393.JPG

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early in the morning before lights on 2 hrs at nigh after the lights goes off
I over dose it still doesn't for me
All corals are doing fine
All my fishes are healthy and eat like a pig

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early in the morning before lights on 2 hrs at nigh after the lights goes off
I over dose it still doesn't for me
All corals are doing fine
All my fishes are healthy and eat like a pig
What fish of yours has it and what size tank?

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total water volume ~70 gallons
It 75g Lee Mar 36x24x20
I used 4 spoons
Yea I dissolved
I found product from YouTube
Since then I added a lot of corals but no fish
IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

Last edited:

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT tank
I have high hope for this product(MEDIC Polyp Lab)i overnight shipped it I think I paid ~$90-$100
From Marine depot
IMG_0404.JPG

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back