Pretty sure my whole tank has ich

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a 75g and that many tangs & angels! I don't know what to say, but to me personally seeing that. You have a beyond very stressful environment. Most people who are big into tangs would say have 1 for a 75g and you have 6 and all different kinds. Plus 2 flames and a coral beauty. With all those fish being the most susceptible to diseases, because of their slime coat & personality. You Have a recipe for disaster. In my opinion if ya have fish in that kind of position that is not dominant. The fish that will be last on the pecking order are sure to be susceptible to diseases. Never to recover in that tank.
I have a 40B 36x18x16 and got ich from 1 flame angel who is the head of the tank and 1/6 fish. Your tank is only 6" wider and 4" taller.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started dosing Polyp Lab Medic for my RS 170. We'll see how it goes:

1. level spoonful after lights off
2. level spoonful before lights on

I ran into some severe space limitations to set up QT so we'll see if this helps remediate the situation in my tank. At worst the ich seems to be an annoyance only to the Kole Tang and the LMB. Other fish don't appear symptomatic. I'm keeping this in my tank journal to document any changes. I still plan on a QT just not sure when I can make that happen

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
Well, long story short. I abandoned the treatment after some water quality issues. I was focusing on high NO3 and everything was starting to suffer in the aquarium. At that time I didn't want to keep adding supplements to the water. However, it does seem the ich has abated. I haven't seen any spots or flashing on the Kole Tang or the LMB for two weeks now. I know it's still in the system, so either the fish are responding to better water quality, or they have a better slime coat, or both. I think since I got my nitrates down to 0 things for the fish have really started to look up. At any rate, if any ich symptoms rear it's head again I'm going to apply the treatment and update the thread.

LuckyPhil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp lab medic states it only "kills" the parasite in its free swimming stage. Treatment also advised to stop after 20days.

Ich Cysts can live up to 72 days, you do the math
You may kill the free swimming parasites but it will still be in your tank.

If there was a time I would use medic it would be after 60-72 days into the fallow. If the claim that it kills free swimming parasites is true then this can be added security.
Otherwise I recommend you to save you money because polyp lab medic ain't cheap.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp lab medic states it only "kills" the parasite in its free swimming stage. Treatment also advised to stop after 20days.

Ich Cysts can live up to 72 days, you do the math
You may kill the free swimming parasites but it will still be in your tank.

If there was a time I would use medic it would be after 60-72 days into the fallow. If the claim that it kills free swimming parasites is true then this can be added security.
Otherwise I recommend you to save you money because polyp lab medic ain't cheap.
X2, couldn't have said it better.

All of these treatments that are credited for "curing ich" (as already mentioned) are actually just the fish's immune system taking over. The companies that make these products know that people will credit the "miracle variable" and ignore the others because that's how it's framed and they understand elementary human psychology. Unfortunately, by the time people try to use these products, their reefs are in very dire straights and the fish are so heavily afflicted that they succumb quickly, and they're left wondering if they could have saved the fish with the proper treatments.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X2, couldn't have said it better.

All of these treatments that are credited for "curing ich" (as already mentioned) are actually just the fish's immune system taking over. The companies that make these products know that people will credit the "miracle variable" and ignore the others because that's how it's framed and they understand elementary human psychology. Unfortunately, by the time people try to use these products, their reefs are in very dire straights and the fish are so heavily afflicted that they succumb quickly, and they're left wondering if they could have saved the fish with the proper treatments.

I was never under the impression that Polyp Lab Medic would "cure" my ich problem. At the time I started dosing it, my NO3 was > 100ppm. I'm sure THIS had a significant impact on my fish more than anything else. As I finally found the vinegar dosing magic number (for me it was 76 ML daily after two months of dosing increases). My NO3 went down to undetectable in 3 days. And what do you know, no more flashing, heavy breathing, white spots. That being said, I'm certain that if my H2O quality were to degrade again, my fish would again be afflicted. So at this point, until my house gets built, I'm "living with ich". I would like to believe that polyp lab works, but I have no way of verifying accurately. All I know is, I stopped dosing after ~10 days to focus on my water quality. As soon as that was taken care of... the Ich symptoms disappeared.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates for us @Skibum

I won't go so far as to say I'm Ich free, but I've been symptom free since my last post. Since then, I've had a tank leak, a replacement tank, livestock move... no outbreaks from my tangs or blenny, who were the most affected. I supposed I'm "living with Ich" at this point but everyone seems to be doing fine, even on a crappy diet of frozen brine shrimp.

Back