Pretty sure the tag is wrong but mangrove question

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I received a mangrove propagule and wanted to start it off in a bucket with soil before moving it to my mantis tank. The question I have is about ammonium. I read that their major nutrient is ammonium and was wondering if anyone went this route and if it would be required, dosing and so on. I'm using old water from its eventual home and keeping the water level about a inch above the soil level.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not tried starting a mangrove in sand like you described. I would think though, adding water from an existing system on a regular basis should be fine. In reefs systems ammonia gets used up pretty fast by corals and algae so I'm not sure just how much ammonia is actually available for them. Just FYI, they do get big, expect to need to prune it regularly when it takes off.

OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering and I've seen them in person in Florida so I've been formulating a plan for the future should it get there. As for the ammonia I figured I'd make my own. So far I have a smelly water bottle filled half way and 4 pieces of whole krill in it. Gonna be a journey down a different path for sure.

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The roots develop differently depending on the kind of substrate or if no substrate, and are fragile; be careful when transplanting someday. Even the smallest amount of disturbance can kill the plant when moving to its new home. Once transplanted, the plant will still not be big enough to reach the substrate, for a very long time. I use these to clip them to a constant height at the surface:

I use some soft packaging foam, and wrap the trunk of the plant so there is not so much pressure from the clip. Make sure the aquarium water doesn't touch the metal, or it will corrode and eventually fall apart.

OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The roots develop differently depending on the kind of substrate or if no substrate, and are fragile; be careful when transplanting someday. Even the smallest amount of disturbance can kill the plant when moving to its new home. Once transplanted, the plant will still not be big enough to reach the substrate, for a very long time. I use these to clip them to a constant height at the surface:

I use some soft packaging foam, and wrap the trunk of the plant so there is not so much pressure from the clip. Make sure the aquarium water doesn't touch the metal, or it will corrode and eventually fall apart.

This is the reply I was looking for. Thanks a bunch

Back