preventing aptasia

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can't afford a qt and could not keep up with the maintenance I was thinking I could cover the plug and scrub the base to get rid of the aptasia would this work

Luciferene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just refrag and remount everything I put in my tank, and even then if the coral has porous skeleton it could be lodged somewhere there. Aiptasia can retreat to any crevices so it might not be visible for you to scrub.

What you could do is leave it in aerated clear container with plenty ambient light and keep inspecting every hour or so until you see no aiptasia. Even when they hide in crevices, they'll come back out when left like that. At least that's what I do when I collect aiptasia to feed berghias

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove vendor's frag plug and attach your own; dip your corals and make sure you flip them over and swish them around a bit to get rid of pests. That's what I do and and have had pretty good success. This is not to say that aiptasia has not slipped by on occasion - but when it does I just zap it with aiptasia-X.
I'm sure others will have their own methods and give you more options.

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove vendor's frag plug and attach your own; dip your corals and make sure you flip them over and swish them around a bit to get rid of pests. That's what I do and and have had pretty good success. This is not to say that aiptasia has not slipped by on occasion - but when it does I just zap it with aiptasia-X.
I'm sure others will have their own methods and give you more options.
Could i use a acclimation box and set my corals in there after i dipped them

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could i use a acclimation box and set my corals in there after i dipped them

Why would you put them in there? You're asking about putting the acclimation box in the tank and have the corals hang out in there for a bit, right?
I mean, I guess you could but I don't necessarily see a reason for it. If having them in the acclimation box is for observation and to check for aiptasia - I think it may be too late as the aiptasia will spread through the tank from the holes in the box, anyways. When I put mine in my tank they go right onto a frag rack or onto the BB for evaluation and until I can make a decision on where I want to glue them onto my rock.
Aiptasia really isn't that bad; it is a pest indeed, but if you use aiptasia-X once a month to kill off the heads or get a copperband, you'll be set.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back