preview of 800 g tank in 3 rooms

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoyed reading and catching up on this build! super jelly....Somday maybe I can join the 1000 Gallon club! Keep up the awesome work love what you are doing!

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is what my trim carpenter and builder came up with for the cabinet doors. This meets the requirements of my wife and our decorator. It's not the gigantic actuator controlled 12 foot machine shed door that I wanted... but each door gives four feet of access, and they go around all four sides. They are light weight, no mechanicals, and they look like wall panels. They swing up to 90 degrees, then, push back about a foot to canteliver in place. No handles or knobs needed. Neat! I have to work around cross braces anyway - so I think this will be pretty good access and better than what I have on my current tank. It also saved me a bundle over what I was going to pay for actuators and spring shocks for the ridiculously heavy contraption that I had drafted.

1573684169487.png

Can you post more pictures of how this system works (hinges, etc.) -- it looks amazing, and I need some more inspiration for my own build!

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post more pictures of how this system works (hinges, etc.) -- it looks amazing, and I need some more inspiration for my own build!

We borrowed the idea from a flip up retracting appliance garage door. I'll try to get more pictures up this weekend. Basically, it swings up to 90 degrees, the pushes back into the cabinet on slides. Because I have four feet from front to back, it still leaves me two feet to attach my light rack an allows the doors to slide over the lights. It will be more clear after I build the light rack.

1573690133903.png

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after the usual months of delays... we finally moved in. I have dry fitted the overflow and I'm still working on my plywood tanks to use as sumps and coral grow out space. What a pain that has been! Here are some pics.

Overflow. Beananimal adaptation for two overflow boxes.

Capture1.GIF

A view from the East (living room side)

Capture2.GIF

All of the panels open for access all the way around. Also... the corners pop off. This will allow me to push magnet scrapers into the corners, and then hide the stuff that I can't get.

Capture3.GIF

A few from the West (office side). I can sit back here... view the tank... and nobody can see me. It's nice and dark and (if I don't screw up the overflow) quiet back here.

Capture4.GIF

Basement sump equipment getting a coating. Two sumps... two coral grow out tanks... plywood and pond armor inside with KILZ on the outside.

Capture5.GIF

Here is the overflow and return in the tank. There are six overflows and four returns.... with a reverse check valve siphon breaker. My hope is to push the water away with enough velocity that it comes back to the return via a gyre type of flow. Hopefully... not causing surface film to collect on the other side. I'll try to keep 90% of the plumbing and power heads on this side where it is relatively hidden.

Capture6.GIF

Lbannie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful!!! When we built our house my husband kept saying “we’re not building the house around a fish tank!”......oh yes we are! Lol
Not near the same scale as you!! I originally wanted a 180....I settled on an older rsm 250. Hated it and didn’t even put it in the “spot”.
Sold that and just got a 90 gallon. I’m having a custom stand and canopy built and it’s going where I originally dreamt it would be. In my main entrance/foyer visible from living room.
I wish we built a bigger house!!
Can’t wait to see your progress!!

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. I just put a new tank and fishroom sump in with a cads cloth as well. I like it so far. It had crazy orange acrylic on it but fortunately that came off easily. With my abyzz 400 at about 60% there is a decent amount of flow noise in the wall and under the cabinet. The doors block a lot of it. Our office on the back side has more noise. Soundproofing material is an option. I am not trying to get my flow with the main pump - just keeping the skimmer fed, heater connected etc. that keeps the noise down a lot.

Trestlew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love the hidden room, viewable through the tank, idea. I'm gonna save that for the next build! Can't wait to see future progress and I'm eager to hear how the drain (potential) problem is solved.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back