Preview of 'PegLeg', the new 2011 AVAST Cone Skimmer DIY Kit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh out of our CAD application's rendering tool, this is what the new pump-underneath version of our CS1 DIY cone skimmer kit (nicknamed 'PegLeg') will look like:
CS1-2011.jpg

We've moved the pump underneath the cone body, which adds a few inches to the height requirement (22" now) but drastically reduces the sump footprint to only 10"x9".

Also, we changed the old gate valve to a bottom drain pipe with a custom built micro-adjustable valve. Much better water level adjustability this way, and you don't have to put your hand in the water to adjust the skimmer. Note that the silencer has been moved off the cup flange and onto the hartford loop pipe, which makes removing the cup a little easier.

One other change not easily seen is the cone to neck flange connection has been improved from a two-piece acrylic + PVC assembly to a single PVC ring that is milled to fit over the cone. This means an easier & cleaner fit during assembly.

These are available for Preorder, as they are in final production and we plan to ship them on or around Dec. 8th. Order yours now to take advantage of the black friday sale going on until Monday at midnight! (coupon code 'thanks15')

OP
OP
Avast Justin

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will these be using the same pumps?

Yes, our stock pump is the PSK 2500. I know of at least one person using a Tunze Hydrofoamer with great success (spoke with him today actually). Also the hole in the base plate is 1", so you can use a different pump if you have one handy. The Sicce PSK 600 would be a good choice also, and should fit with no modifications to the kit. I believe the volute output nozzle is the same size as the 2500.

angry john

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
size of bubble plate

is it possible that with a bottom mounted pump that the bubble plate could be larger therefor increasing the saturation of the entire skimmer body instead of having a large dead zone on the bottom?

OP
OP
Avast Justin

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you dont check PM?
We try to, but email is by far the faster way to get in touch with either Dan or me. I didn't get a PM from you though, maybe you sent it to Dan (Avast Marine) ?

I ordered and paid for Sicce PSK2500 venturi ,Weld on

thanks
It went out today :)

What's the rating!!
Conservative 100 gal, that's heavy stocked with lots of tangs. 200 gal with light fish/feeding load.

is it possible that with a bottom mounted pump that the bubble plate could be larger therefor increasing the saturation of the entire skimmer body instead of having a large dead zone on the bottom?
It fills the body pretty well, will have video tomorrow.

OP
OP
Avast Justin

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
were's that video?

Arrrg got busy with shipping today and never made it. Tomorrow I promise. Will be sunnier in the greenhouse so I can get a prettier picture too.

Edit: Also, folks who preordered the kits will be happy to know they shipped today, one week ahead of schedule :)

Last edited:

DrTerro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot find it any where on the site. Link please? And excited for the video. Thanks.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow this is pretty intriguing, how hard is it to assemble and does it come with everything you need to put it together?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out their site, they have a video of the assembly. It looks pretty easy.

OP
OP
Avast Justin

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Avast Justin

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow this is pretty intriguing, how hard is it to assemble and does it come with everything you need to put it together?

We have had several complete beginners (never having built anything from acrylic) build it successfully. While more complex than our media reactor kits, it is straightforward if you watch the video beforehand and familiarize yourself with the instructions. Yes it comes with everything needed, including glue and emery cloth for minor finishing work.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back